Epic day - 5 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic day - 5 Sept

Epic because it was so lovely out on the water that day. The sun shone, the skies were blue all day, it was almost flat calm, the murky water had been replaced with crystal clear water, the drift speeds were perfect, the fish obliged and I saw a pair of Minke whales heading north and a huge pod of white beak dolphins heading south. Best day of the year!

It wasn't an auspicious start though. Out of nowhere a brisk northwesterly breeze sprang up, just as I was leaving Amble marina, and created an uncomfortable chop. I was beginning to think this was going to be a repeat of Saturday's incorrect forecast. I ended up tucking into the lee at Seaton Point where there were loads of small codling to 4lb.

After a while, the breeze died and I started to explore a few marks that I had not been to, or had rarely visited, such as the kelp beds off Boulmer, and then it was on to Craster. The reefs were giving small codling still, so I ventured a bit deeper and got a small ling off the rough ground in about 80 feet of water. Then it was to some marks closer inshore by Craster, and there were some nice pollack around, and some coalies, with the biggest being a good pound and a half. Great fun in 15-20 feet of water. I could see the fog starting to form, so I bagged up on some really large mackerel for the table and high-tailed it back to the marina, getting in around 7pm.

The whales and dolphins were all spotted off Craster, and very visible to people onshore. Reading Alan Skinners page (JFK 2) , he too had seen this pod last Saturday on a10 hour long pelagic watching trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230905_122211.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1593115

Name:	20230905_160623.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1593116

Name:	20230905_171113.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1593117

Name:	20230905_171524.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1593118

Name:	20230905_180124.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1593119

Cracking day mate im going to the farnes area fri staying overnight maybe more going to try some deep wrecks and try my downrigger in the farne deeps

Comment

well done its a pity these days are running out as we go by months shame hope it will return next year''''
      KEEP AHAD LADS IF THINGS DONT CHANGE THEY WILL STAY THE SAME

Comment

Nice one Adrian sounds like an amazing day out. Its always lovely to see dolphins and amazing if you get close to a whale I saw some Minke whales many years ago at first all I heard was one of them exhaling, sounded like a massive tyre leaking got quite a shock.

Hope we all get a good few more trips out before weather turns.

I'm hopefully out at least once this weekend

Jonny
        PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Working...
        X