Wrecking Bonanza - Mistress - Whitby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecking Bonanza - Mistress - Whitby

We had an amazing day wrecking on Tuesday.

Everyone caught plenty of quality cod on lures and bait, the boat took a staggering 90-100 cod for the day.
    we had a couple of fish touching double figures, but most in the 3lb to 6lb bracket.

Ash with the best cod of the day

The lads at the end of the day with a few of their fish

For a full report and more photos, please follow the link;

tight lines

Rich

Nice fish.

Can anyone else spot the 'bird' in the photo?

Neil

At Last

Comment

Fishing on the boat Whitby ,parking charges

Nice to see lads catching a few fish Whitby,pity the council Parking charges by the hour make it unaffordable for some.as an individual angler I used to block book where I could.the council even charge disabled fishermen .A 10/12 hour trip parking charges mount up at in some cases £3/£4/£5 an hour.i know shy torque is £50 .which is fare cost of diesel and can't get out because of weather.add the parkings wow.wouldn't you think the council would give anglers free parking to attract tourism to whitby
      .Rip off Britain
      Last edited by davydunn; 13-03-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davydunn View Post
        Nice to see lads catching a few fish Whitby,pity the council Parking charges by the hour make it unaffordable for some.as an individual angler I used to block book where I could.the council even charge disabled fishermen .A 10/12 hour trip parking charges mount up at in some cases £3/£4/£5 an hour.i know shy torque is £50 .which is fare cost of diesel and can't get out because of weather.add the parkings wow.wouldn't you think the council would give anglers free parking to attract tourism to whitby
        .Rip off Britain
        i think you will find that parking is no more than £7 for 24 hours, in the two carparks we use for our anglers.

unfortunately scarborough borough council are a bunch of robbing gets, and they dont give us any consessions at all, our charter prices are what they are due to business rates, dues etc, most boats have to make in excess of 5k before they even leave the pontoon each year.

but we are blessed with good fishing all year round, last year being the worst anyone has known so hopefully just an anomaly, fingers crossed for everyone for a great year in 2014!
        Last edited by Mistress; 14-03-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Scarborough council are indeed robbing gits. We were down for 12 days last year and were outraged to see they charge disabled drivers. An absolute scandal! The first time we went to Whitby we went shopping in the Co-op and parked in the adjacent car park thinking it was their own. Nope it was a privately run one on behalf of British Rail. A 10 minute shopping trip cost an additional £60!!!

As Rich says though, £7 per 24hrs in the Whitby Car Parks near the charter boats.

Great trip by the way Rich! After last year's lack of fish in Whitby,we are staying further North in July, but planning to be down again next year. Having seen the reports, I am hoping to persuade Lynn to have a weekend in August with you, as long as our summer theatre schools are a success!
          Last edited by kayos; 13-03-2014, 11:56 AM.
          2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Most will probably hate this. but at Whitby and surrounding ports the charter fishing is very good value as most people nearly always return home with good fish and have a great day out. Taking all cost into consideration its still a lot cheaper than running your own boat and you get all the skill of the skippers, top notch boats and great fishing for less than a decent night out.

The south coast where they still boast about cod fishing where 12 anglers will go out and if a couple of the anglers get a 20lb+ fish its a great day out but the rest go home empty handed and they love it, add the cost as most boats on the south coast are edging on 70 for a day out. It makes you see that north has a lot to offer the visiting angler. Ports like Whitby, Hartlepool, Sunderland Newcastle Amble etc. all have very good boats with great skippers. And are consistently delivering great days out.

Just my view but for me the chartering anglers in the north have a good choice of boats and great catches and can regularly come home with more than they have paid in money values of fresh cod and that takes a lot of beating! as in the supermarkets Fresh cod is nudging £20 per kg so it don't take a lot to get your money back.

Sean
            Last edited by big_sean; 13-03-2014, 01:57 PM.
            The beautifull South

Comment

You are right, £5 an hour or less is a great deal.

I don't think anyone has said it isn't mind you.
              2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                You are right, £5 an hour or less is a great deal.

I don't think anyone has said it isn't mind you.
                I think if you add the cost of the parking onto your day its still great value, Yes we would all like to see it cheaper but at least we can park near to the boats as some of the south coast parking is a nightmare where one of the party has to take the car away and then walk back as most of the harbour side parks have 4/5 hour limits. which is terrible.

For us we always went 4 in a car so it was split and the fuel cost as well which made it even better value.

Sean
                The beautifull South

Comment

its £6 quid at whitby

Comment

Originally posted by ships cat View Post
                    its £6 quid at whitby
                    Its £6 for 24hrs in carpark ajacent to the main charterboat pontoon thats less than 30p per hour so not that bad really.

paul.
                    http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Comment

Great result Rich,a good day all round.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by big_sean View Post
                        Most will probably hate this. but at Whitby and surrounding ports the charter fishing is very good value as most people nearly always return home with good fish and have a great day out. Taking all cost into consideration its still a lot cheaper than running your own boat and you get all the skill of the skippers, top notch boats and great fishing for less than a decent night out.

The south coast where they still boast about cod fishing where 12 anglers will go out and if a couple of the anglers get a 20lb+ fish its a great day out but the rest go home empty handed and they love it, add the cost as most boats on the south coast are edging on 70 for a day out. It makes you see that north has a lot to offer the visiting angler. Ports like Whitby, Hartlepool, Sunderland Newcastle Amble etc. all have very good boats with great skippers. And are consistently delivering great days out.

Just my view but for me the chartering anglers in the north have a good choice of boats and great catches and can regularly come home with more than they have paid in money values of fresh cod and that takes a lot of beating! as in the supermarkets Fresh cod is nudging £20 per kg so it don't take a lot to get your money back.

Sean
                        I agree with that post.

I have my own boat and still go on a charter occasionally...different ball game--not better not worse..just different

On my boat I can pick time, company, wrecks and I can also head home whenever I want.

On a charter I will have a skipper, who is much better than me, a big safe boat, I can totally relax and fish...but on the downside its often crowded, lots of tangles etc

Price: Come on...we get what we pay for. Paul (Sea Otter) could probably charge double and still would be booked out all summer. Same applies for Sarah JFK, Mistress and Shy Torque.
                        Maybe they should offer discounted trips on bad tides or for uptiding

In Cape Town we spend on a normal Tuna trip, 30nm offshore and trolling about 200£ of petrol.
                        50£ for a day of excellent wreck fishing seems a bargain to me

Comment

Working...
                        X