Slinky Kate 5th June 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate 5th June 2010

With bert still away on holiday (a special holiday I might add) we once again looked after keith in berts absence ....
    so Myself, Tony and Keith set out at the leisurly time of 4.00am this morning .... to catch the start of the flood tide and hopefully re-create last weeks fishing fantastico .........
    Well, not quite, however the catch as it turned out was a full box with fish ranging from 3lb to 8lb so can't complain.

Left the piers at about 4.30am with the sun struggeling to get through the cloud and the forecast a little iffy. Our first stop was a close in spot we ALWAYS go to first because of the history ... but as ever this season not a thing, so, quickly moved on to "the fishing ground" where we had such a good spell last week, in not too long I found myself calling for the gaff for a fish I though may just be Slinkys first double of the season, but it was not to be just a mere 8lbs ... still not a bad fish for 5.00am in the morning ......
    Unfortunately nothing else but poor cod, scotchies, the odd ling and a launce could be found here this week so we moved on --- to a close in wreck.
    Here we found fish and picked up a decent haul of 7 good fish from 3lbd to 6 lbs ... then once again it all went quiet ......
    We returned to our "fishing ground" just in case the timing was different and there was a sudden "turn on" (but infortunately not), met up with Rich and co on Stingray who although had had fish close in, most were small and returned. (video of stingray to come )
    We tried a few other wrecks and ground but all to no avail (other than the odd selection of species) until eventually both Keith and I dug into fish at the same moment thinking this was a sign of a "switch on" ..... unfortunately not but it did increase our haul to 10 good sized keepers.
    The day seemed to turn into a species drive with several unexpected arrivals, species tally for the day (I`m sure Tony will correct me if I`ve missed any)

Codling
    Cod (codling over 7lbd)
    Poor Cod
    Ling
    Coalie
    Mackerel (big size this season)
    Launce
    Scotchie (Pouting)
    Octopus
    Wrasse

all this with a day of sunshine, great company and a bag of fillets each to take home ...... unbeatable !

pics of the day

My first cod of the day , a nice 8lbd

Keith , as ever digging into em ....

Tony , proving he too can do it ...

Tony with his prize of the day and his first boat caught Launce

Myself with a fair sized octopus ....... which was leaving nothing to chance as it sped downward leaving a thick cloud of dye behind ...

And last but not least a fine Wrasse from St Marys ....

As ever a great day out with great company ........ (and a bag of fillets)

Many Thanks to my Friends the Crew

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

cracking report norm things are gettin better and better might not be the monsters we are chasing but atleast they are there in numbers
    Cod machine

Comment

Another great day lads, thanks very much for looking after me for the last 2 weeks it's been great

May I just add (for those critical of snaps being taken of hooked fish being held up) those pics are taken as the fish are lifted over the side and not sure how else you would get them in the boat? Any worse than lifting a fish up the side of a pier etc?
      Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Cracking report mate, good day had by all.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
          Another great day lads, thanks very much for looking after me for the last 2 weeks it's been great

May I just add (for those critical of snaps being taken of hooked fish being held up) those pics are taken as the fish are lifted over the side and not sure how else you would get them in the boat? Any worse than lifting a fish up the side of a pier etc?

LOL

Some nice fish lads, I'm after a launce to add to the list Tony.

Comment

Cheers for the great day Norman and Keith - am dog tired...feel a radox moment coming up later I think

...going to do the Cod lasagne thing later this week - will post a full report
            Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
            I AGREE

Comment

Nice one lads it was one of them days that when your at work you sit back and go arrrrrr as you drift away to recall it ll over again.

Nice catch and the 8 leg friend is nice to see, not had or seem one for 2 years.
              ................__................................ .............................
              ____[ ~ \_____
              [__On-A-Roll__/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              P.B
              SKATE 204lb
              COD 51lb
              LING 32lb
              TOPE 40lb
              CONGER 25lb
              HADDOCK 10lb
              HALIBUT 37lb
              COALIE 16lb
              BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Great report and pics as usual. A good tally for a day that perhaps did not quite live up to the high expectations. There seems to be a high level of optimism at the moment, long may it last.

Well done lads

Jonny
                PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

You beat my species count by an octopus Norman lol. , though I had a pollock in place of your wrasse , I'd never caught a launce (sandeel?) till last week , and //i caught another one today , my mate had a granny fish (bloody big one too ) on Wednesday , seems to be a mirriad of species out there at the moment , great report as usual

Ray

Comment

We nearly added rubber johnnies (divers) to our list of species, what a set of tossers dropping their flag on a wreck they knew we were fishing. 10 out of 10 for keeping your cool Norman.
                    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

lol Keith I think he just saved himself with his one word answer of "eventually" ...... to the question (or was it a statment) "Your not Thinking of Diving this wreck are you ?" ... of course our boat was bigger than his and was pointed rather at him at the time .......
                      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Keith, Can I just cast your mind back to this post 21st August 2005

It was in my mind at the time ........

norm
                        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                          Keith, Can I just cast your mind back to this post 21st August 2005

It was in my mind at the time ........

norm
                          "Stupid hats like ozzies" ......... Good job I didn't get any pictures of myself fishing today

Ray

Comment

Well it seems they haven't any common courtesy and think it's acceptable and safe to dive a wreck that is being fished.
                            Last edited by KeithB; 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM.
                            Cheers, Keith.

Comment

oops, but surely not complete with corks Ray ?
                              Last edited by Norman; 06-06-2010, 08:50 AM.
                              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Working...
                              X