1st report 4/6/10 Nova Castrian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st report 4/6/10 Nova Castrian

Well this is hopefully my 1st of many reports from my 1st boat the Nova Castrian that i keep moored in Beadnell.

Got her last week and got the 1st chance to do some fishing last friday.

Woke up at 5.30am to find the fog was in very heavy but set off over to Beadnell anyway to meet my dad and check the sea out. The fog had gone so off out we headed to the Newton area and we were straight into the fish with me loosing a 4lber on the top and my 2nd on the way up before i must have hit one on the head as i hadn't even hit bottom when i got what turned out to be a 3lber on.

The fishing was great for about an hour with cod on every drop for me until we hit a patch of coalies and couldn't get through them getting 4 a time. When they passed we were back into the cod until the fog returned and we lost sight of everything around us

Being our first time out and my dad never using a gps before he got a bit worried about getting back in so asked if i would be happy stopping for the day to try and get back in.
    Well this turned into an adventure for me and almost a heart attack for him when we almost beached the boat on Beadnell beach lol i noticed we were only in 1 meter of water and were heading closer in....when i asked him if he knew what he was doing he said his glasses were covered in salt water and he couldn't see the gps i quickly figured out where we needed to be and got us heading in the right direction A near miss with a yaught moored on the beach then a smaller boat also moored there i saw the pier end through the fog.

We returned with around a dozen cod to 4-5lb and put loads of size but smaller fish back to get bigger. Only other species we had were coalies.

Hope to be out again soon and next time i promise to get some photos....we were to busy catching fish this time
    Best shore caught fish:- Pollock 6lb+ Beadnell, 9lb 8oz Cod Blyth Beach

Nice catch, good start to the season.

Lucky on the near misses could of been much worse...

We've been ok weather wise everytime & not had a run in with fog yet fingers crossed.

Comment

Great report Greg, that's a cracking catch for your first trip out.
      Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Nice1 and you have some fantastic ground to fish around there, always wanted to go up there April/May time for the inshore codling.

If in doubt use a compass, head west until you hit the rocks...cant fail
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Nice one Gregg that's the first one out the way always the worst well done mate canny boat too
          Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Cheers lads. It's been a long time coming but finally got a boat to get out on!!!
            Best shore caught fish:- Pollock 6lb+ Beadnell, 9lb 8oz Cod Blyth Beach

Comment

nice report mate its always a hairy adventure on your first time out getting used to the boat etc atleast you hit a few fish
              Cod machine

Comment

nice boat mate i still dream of having my own boat but fait has dealt me a bad blow but you never know one day one day well done on the catch too must have been great with your dad on the boat with you
                regards batt22

Comment

Well done, that’s a canny stamp of fish. You’ll learn from experience about using a boat, hopefully you can learn from other people experience too and you’ll soon get the hang of finding your way around with the GPS, don’t forget to use it to mark productive areas and wrecks etc.. As NE1 said, if in doubt head west, a compass is a must and can get you out of bother if the GPS hits problems.

Comment

nice one mate, well done
                    Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
                    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
                    http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Working...
                    X