Eleda 1st August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleda 1st August

Ok, I give in , where have all the fish gone I was out on Friday afternoon headed north and had a couple of ling a pollock and two small codling , went out this afternoon headed south and caught 1 mackerel (didn't really try for them though) 1 small codling , 2 ling and a gurnard
    What happened to all those cod ???? It wasn't just me , I saw boats doing the same as me , moving from wreck to wreck looking for fish and obviously not finding them as they moved on pretty quickly to the next one.
    The sea was as flat as can be and clear as I've seen it but there was nothing showing anywhere , no birds diving , no fish on the finder , hardly even any mackerel .......... it's a strange old game this fishing.
    Managed 27 knots in my boat though

Next time it's flat like that and there aren't any fish I'm going to steam down to Sunderland and get some lol.

Ray

Not that many at Sunderland either Ray , plenty mackerel though, try in the middle you might get lucky...Still better than sitting in the house mate.....

Comment

Cod

You turned the wrong way out of Amble. Three of us headed North and bagged 23 good Cod 5-7 lb once more and a couple of 3.5 lb Pollack. It was steady way, they seemed to be in little pockets. Again we lost perhaps 10 good fish. We are still chasing the elusive double figure Cod, it has to out there somewhere. The weather was far better than the forecast, it was another great Sunday, I'll say some prayers tonight I think, someone is looking down upon us for a change.

Comment

Were you fishing the hard ground then shilbottler ? I havn't fished anywhere but wrecks for a while , I've got tunnel vision with them I think , I really like fishing wrecks but I'm going to have to put some time in on the rocks I think when the wrecks aren't fishing. I'm glad somebody found them anyway , well done mate

Ray

Comment

Fishing around Boulmer and Marden Rocks area at Alnmouth. Probably about where the old Boulmer buoy used to be from what I remember form the seventies, it used to be a good marker in those days. Don't know what the co-ordinates were, we had nowt in those days. I'm lying we had a pair of oars for an emergency. The fishing was patchy but steady. The favourite bait was again the Morrison Prawn far better than anything else. I don't think we have caught anything on Mackerel strips in our last two outings. Caught the odd few on pirks. We seem to lose a lot of fish off the hooks for some reason and they all seem to be good ones. Caught a couple of decent Pollack so they seem to be appearing up there. Morning fishing seems to work best but last week we were catching in the late afternoon. I would have thought wrecks were holding areas i.e. place of shelter for the Cod when they are well fed but when it comes to grub time they have to move off the wrecks and go and search for the crabs and crunchie things they seem to to be fond off.

It would be interesting to know how Craster was fishing yesterday ??

Comment

Originally posted by Shilbottler View Post
            Fishing around Boulmer and Marden Rocks area at Alnmouth. Probably about where the old Boulmer buoy used to be from what I remember form the seventies, it used to be a good marker in those days. Don't know what the co-ordinates were, we had nowt in those days. I'm lying we had a pair of oars for an emergency. The fishing was patchy but steady. The favourite bait was again the Morrison Prawn far better than anything else. I don't think we have caught anything on Mackerel strips in our last two outings. Caught the odd few on pirks. We seem to lose a lot of fish off the hooks for some reason and they all seem to be good ones. Caught a couple of decent Pollack so they seem to be appearing up there. Morning fishing seems to work best but last week we were catching in the late afternoon. I would have thought wrecks were holding areas i.e. place of shelter for the Cod when they are well fed but when it comes to grub time they have to move off the wrecks and go and search for the crabs and crunchie things they seem to to be fond off.

It would be interesting to know how Craster was fishing yesterday ??
            Myself, my brother and my mate, fished the back of Boulmer yesterday all the way from Longhoughton down to Seaton Point, and found it really hard going....Our worst session so far this year. was an hour before we had a fish of size. Saw some gannets diving further out so made for to grab some Maccy. caught a dozen in all between us.
            As the day rolled on the fish came on , but very patchy and mostly undersize (I must have had well in excess of 100 undersize coalies and codling).
            Once we hit slack water the fish disappeared for around an hour until it started to flood again.
            Poor session with around a dozen cod, a dozen mackeral and one pollack around 3lb. Still great craic as ever and it's always a bonus to hold onto my stomach contents
            "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

You would need to pack in boat fishing if you got sea sick yesterday Red lol , it was as flat as I've ever seen it , I ended up at Boulmer for a few drops , but by that time it was half hearted fishing I was doing. I'm not complaining though , I've had some cracking sport so far this season and the poor days make the good ones all the better. Strangely enough , if I've had a bad day , I can't wait to get back out and have another crack at them , put things right sort of , If I've had a dream day I'm not quite so bothered , so it's all part of fishing I suppose.

Ray

Comment

Aye it was glassy, but no chance of giving up on the boat fishin.....been a few years since I suffered the mal de mer, but it always brings back memories.
                Although the fishing was poor, craic was great, scenery stunning, porpoises, gannets, guillemots all worthwhile.

had a great laugh when we heard this knocking noise and I thought the skipper was tapping his hand on something.....kept on going this noise....So I turned and looked. The skipper was standing still and this knocking was still going on...don't ask me why but I thought to myself "How the hell is he doing that without moving"....He looked straight at me and said...."Is someone on the cabin roof"....Slowly I edged up to take a look (imagine the movie Jeepers Creepers)....And here was this huge Herring gull, tapping it's beak on the roof....LOL

.....Well I thought it was funny!
                "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Sea story

The other Sunday, off Boulmer, it was a flat sea and the fish were coming in. About 40m away I spotted a black fin on the surface it had a serrated edge to it, a bit like the fin on a Bass and nothing like a porpoise. I pointed it out to the lads. It appeared to be moving, there was a small wake behind it. One of the lads said it must be a sun fish but it was getting bigger and it was rising out ouf the water....spooky.

The other lad shouted "it's a diver it's a diver" ..... really spooky now a diver coming up out of the depths in the middle of nowhere. What the f*** It slowly rose up out of the water. We all stood staring, not able to figure what it was, then .... up popped a pot marker on a pole.

The flage was slowly rising and submerging with the water and the tide made it appear to be sliding through the water.

Funny old world, we laughed but for a few seconds it had us going.

Comment

Sounds a good day Red5 ! Not had a fantastic season so far but thats fishing. As you say the craic and the scenery make up for it. Might try boulmer next trip if theres nowt at Amble.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                      Sounds a good day Red5 ! Not had a fantastic season so far but thats fishing. As you say the craic and the scenery make up for it. Might try boulmer next trip if theres nowt at Amble.

Good to hear your still getting out matey.....Are you getting ready for the darts season?

Comment

Aye getting the practice in, can't wait.
                        going to try a shore session up at craster soon to try out me new jelly worms......

Comment

Working...
                        X