April or October??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April or October??

With Lynn and I taking this April and October to sample the delights of Eastern Europe rather then down your way, as the fishing has never served us well at those times of year and therefore only having 1 holiday in the North East this year, we thought next year, as well as the Summer, we would try another one in 2016.

So guys, we have choices : Week commencing 4th (or)11th April OR week commencing 9th October. Obviously weather is a factor, but let's face it in this country who can predict that!?

What we would like is the boat guys to give us their perceived wisdom on which time of the year - Early April or early October - gives us the best chance of fish? We are bound by the school holidays, so those are our only options.

Any advice gratefully received.

PS Oops, sorry should not be in catch reports.
    Last edited by kayos; 24-08-2015, 10:08 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

April is usually not good...fishing very patchy

October is excellent fishing, especially for big ling but can be windy.

so my advice would be October

Comment

mark as you well know you never get to days the same in the north east or other parts of the uk its pot luck m8.
      we had booked a weeks holiday down at filey end of july in the caravan me the wife the grandson and the dog, all we had was wind and rain each day
      so we just packed up and came back home on the thursday morning instead of the sunday.
      consett warlord retired

Comment

Mark / Lynne

October is a cracking month, In my eyes one of the best. the offshore wrecks usually have some of the biggest fish on them. the inshore grounds are thinning out but the winter up-tiding is starting and that can be fantastic too.

Sean
        The beautifull South

Comment

Late September / October can be canny as said with the odd big fish coming in and wrecks still fishing usually, but no guarantee's 😄

12.5 lb and 20lb

5 lb, 10 lb and 20lb

Fingers crossed for this year lol 🐟

Comment

Mid to late April in my opinion if your happy banging in 2-5lb codling.

Oct has been a bad month for a few years now winds wise thou the numbers often down the size is often far better with some super ling caught.

I go for Late April still.

I always rap in about 2nd week of Oct, cant say i have fished past 19th of Oct ever thou some lads fish well past this date.

Every year is different
            ................__................................ .............................
            ____[ ~ \_____
            [__On-A-Roll__/
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            P.B
            SKATE 204lb
            COD 51lb
            LING 32lb
            TOPE 40lb
            CONGER 25lb
            HADDOCK 10lb
            HALIBUT 37lb
            COALIE 16lb
            BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

october for me mark
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

April or October

Hi Mark

Hope you and Lynn are keeping well.
                Just back from a long lovely holiday.
                Anyway, my comments are from my own records, mainly fishing from Hartlepool but with quite a number of trips included, ranging from the Tyne to Whitby going back many years.

I have found that April has started slowly on my trips, albeit fish around, but nothing in quantity and the fish caught in general were not in the best condition.
                Going through my records, I have only had 2 decent starts in April in these times, so on this basis, I would plump for October.

I have also recorded larger fish towards the end of the year and have fished consistently through October, and well into November for many seasons.

However, our North East weather takes absolutely no prisoners as you very well know even in our "Summer" months nothing is guaranteed.

Food for thought my friend.
                John S

Comment

April for me, not just because I have no patience but because the spring run has usually started by then. The rough ground will be lively with pan sized fish. By October the winds can be a problem, but when they let us out there should be some better sized fish around. Inland, the Tyne’s salmon run will be in full swing then as well.

Quantity in spring or quality in autumn?

Comment

Hi Mark

The 9th of October is small tides running up to big ones by the end of the week. so should be a great week. and if the weather has not played ball at the end of the week a sneaky inshore uptiding trip could save the day!!

Sean
                    The beautifull South

Comment

March and early April can be slow as the Cod tend to be lethargic around this time of the season. I'm told it has something to do with their spawning process but knows, anyway I'd definitely go for the October visit.

Comment

Working...
                      X