Slinky Kate Saturday 19th Sept 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate Saturday 19th Sept 2015

Back to the roots of fishing ................

With busy times ahead this weekend for both Tony and I we decided (if the weather behaved) this week we would "keep it simple", so a trip to St Marys where the drift was small the sea was shallow and the treck there and back was short.... would be the order of the day.

Surprising note today how quickly it got light, there we were in darkness pulling up at the fuel berth but by the time we had fuelled up WOW daylight in abundance, and strange now the year is passing just where the sunrise is, it used to always be behind the north pier on the way out but its now behind the south pier as it trecks southward with each and every day.

Not going wrecking was a lot more difficult than you ever would imagine with Slinky Kate just yearning to go easward but after a 6am meet up it was out the piers and turn sharp left.

We got to the can area at just before the top of the tide and went straight to our favourite spot "grub gulley" where in the past the slinky lures have proved themselve killers.... not a bite, move along a bit to the under water peninsula just off the briar dene pub, again not a bite.

It was cold, the sea had a big slow swell, it was windy (westerly luckily) and no signs of fish ....... were we in the right place after all?.
    So, with a fair windy drift and no particular spot working we left it to the gods and sat close to the can and let the wind and tide determine our spot.
    After about 100yds drift eastward Tony hit into the first cod of the day then almost straight away the second, and the third. Then it went quiet .... had we found the spot?
    A brisk run back up the drift confirmed we had as Tony yet again hit into his (and our) fourth of the day.
    A quick tug on my line confirmed (at last phew) that I too had a fish ..... but not a codling just a little pouting which Tony quickly thought to photograph in case it was my only fish of the day but is deemed not to be thank goodness)

We caught a good few, all extreme hard fighting fish with many too small to keep so lived to fight again another day, but it was fairly difficult and we found only this single spot that held fish, maybe on another day or time it would be different but certainly I am pleased we did hit the spot as all around appeared barren.

We did at one point think of wrecking but after reports of "quiet on the wrecks" we decided to stay inshore.
    All fish today were caught on lures of some type be they muppets grubs or whatever but what seemed to be a must was to also bait the lure with squid, I think in entirety today there was never a fish taken on an unbaited lure ...... so always a good idea to take a box of frozen squid along "just in case".

Great Day, early start, early finish, short steam (cheap on the fuel) and a load of good hard fighting fish. Thanks to Tone for the unending banter and thanks to all for reading ..... ps hope you get your laptop sorted Tony

a few pics of the day :-

The sunrise .... over the south pier now instead of the North

Tonys first of the day .....

and my pouting (just in case I caught no codling)

But Luckily I did ......

A wonderful horizon and sky ........

And a better stamp for Tony

All in all yet another great day afloat .............

cheers

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Some lovely photos Norman and a wee change of place and tactics, well done. Our tackle is unfortunately moth balled until next year.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Yes, bloody laptop...this report would have been up last night at teatime. - in fact it was typed up and ready to click submit when everything just froze

System induced restore has somehow lost me wifi

Anywho - was a great morning on the old briney and lucky it seems to have found a mini purple patch when all around us apparently barren
      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
      I AGREE

Comment

Strangest of seasons !!

I am thoroughly grounded with working all weekend, but had a chance last Wednesday and can confirm that the wrecks were unbelievably slow...and all that happens in September, when normally wreck fishing is at its best...it also comes in a season where we arguably had the best start to it ever (at least in my memeory).
        Seems like long ago when every wreck was so on fire with cod that we boated triplets of cod and where disappointed because we hoped it would rather have been one biggin !!

Maybe the reason behind all this odd fishing is the record breaking El Nino 2015 ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Wasabi View Post
          Strangest of seasons !!

I am thoroughly grounded with working all weekend, but had a chance last Wednesday and can confirm that the wrecks were unbelievably slow...and all that happens in September, when normally wreck fishing is at its best...it also comes in a season where we arguably had the best start to it ever (at least in my memeory).
          Seems like long ago when every wreck was so on fire with cod that we boated triplets of cod and where disappointed because we hoped it would rather have been one biggin !!

Maybe the reason behind all this odd fishing is the record breaking El Nino 2015 ?!

Yes it seems this El Niño could be set to give us a real hard winter .... hats and gloves at the ready.....

Norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Britain braced for long, snowy winter as strongest El Nino since 1950 expected - Telegraph

Comment

Yes,a difficult day yesterday with only a couple of cod and a ling
              Aboard Shady, but plenty mackerel around although some were
              Very small. What we did notice were big shoals of feed deep down,
              Probably Herring which might explain the lack of feeding fish.
              Nice report and pics from Norman and Tony cheers.

Comment

Great read Norman. Yes, things really are quiet out there at the moment with very large areas of absolutly nowt. Anyway, good to see yous found a few.
                P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Great read as ever well done Norman and Tony
                  Still getting out and still catching ...cant be bad
                  Cheers Bert

Comment

Well done lads on finding the fish. We’ve spent a lot of this season fishing at the Yellow Can having long lazy drifts, it’s such a different style to the short burst of activity when hitting the deep wrecks.

Comment

Working...
                    X