Trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling

A short (not great quality) video of pollack trolling on the Bold Endeavour out of Amble. It may be a method worth using in other marks down the coast. Got Graham on the Growler in to it last year!
    YouTube - Pollack_Trolling.avi

Excellent col, we will definately be giving that a go soon ... great video mate, welcome to the video section ...

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

cracking video had to watch it twice defently a method im going to try what depth do you normally set it at when you are trolling and is there any other devices you need on your rig apart from the gummis thanks dean
      Cod machine

Comment

We troll over peaks of between 15 and 45 ft depth. Ideal spots are where there is deeper water, say 50 or 60 feet, then a steep incline or wall up to say 25ft, and back down. The pollack seem to use these to ambush fish. The key bit of gear is the diver, I've tried a few and most are ok down to 25ft at 3 knots but the the best one by a mile is a luhr jensen double deep six. These are used on the great lakes in america for salmon, I had to get mine from cabela's in usa - not cheap but I've only lost one in 3 years. If you've got hot spots for pollack in your area this is the way to do it. It pays to run over your chosen patch first with the sounder to check depth of peaks. Hope you have a try (and catch).

Comment

just ordered a couple of paravane thingys from fleabay, its a starting point on the learning curve .... cheers col , will let you know how we get on.

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

When's The Out Riggers Being Fitted To Slinky Then Norman LoL
            Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Spot on that Col very informative think that will be tried the next time out
                Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

just googled down riggers and crikey they aint cheap
                  Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                  I AGREE

Comment

Yes a nice method and good catch, i have toyed with the idea for many years after a charter trip down south for bass using out riggers and divers like you used. The price put me off as i thought what am i going to really catch up here...but now with pollack and bass moving into our waters in better numbers and some crackng rock marks i.e St Marry;s and Marsden it maybe worth a few quid.
                    ................__................................ .............................
                    ____[ ~ \_____
                    [__On-A-Roll__/
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    P.B
                    SKATE 204lb
                    COD 51lb
                    LING 32lb
                    TOPE 40lb
                    CONGER 25lb
                    HADDOCK 10lb
                    HALIBUT 37lb
                    COALIE 16lb
                    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

We don't use outriggers or downriggers, just two rods out the back of the boat, it's the divers that take your gear down. I think St Mary's sounds a good place to try. If you need a demo give me a pm and I'll see if I can get down, work permitting.

Comment

cracking fish dont do any boat fishing at home but going to wales in 2 weeks going on a boat all day maybe something to try

Comment

Still cnat get my head around the set up or the method, it hink i would cry lookign at the price of them divers if i got snagged.
                          ................__................................ .............................
                          ____[ ~ \_____
                          [__On-A-Roll__/
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          P.B
                          SKATE 204lb
                          COD 51lb
                          LING 32lb
                          TOPE 40lb
                          CONGER 25lb
                          HADDOCK 10lb
                          HALIBUT 37lb
                          COALIE 16lb
                          BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

You can put a weaklink of thin mono behind the diver for safety. Don't want to be skimming the bottom, pollack will come up a fair way to take. I've lost one diver in three years. Badly shot (slack) pots are the worst hazard.

Comment

Think the method in this is that your lures are imitating the prey swimming horizontally where we normally fish vertically, a wiggling sandeel imitation coming over a ledge is the trigger for ambushing pollack.

Comment

Working...
                              X