Underwater View of Codling Fishing off St Mary's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwater View of Codling Fishing off St Mary's

Have you ever wondered what is happening below the waves when you drop a line over the side, or wanted to know what the bottom looked like in real life and not just on the sounder? Well, here is a view of fish and fishing in 35 feet of water off St Mary’s Island.

Underwater view of codling fishing at St Mary's Island in 35 feet of water.

Great video Kevin
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Good vid mate

Comment

Great video Kev, looks a good mark i seen 4 cod in that pic
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Cracking video well worth a look

Comment

Quality

Comment

WOW OH WOW SUPERB KEVIN!

Nice one mate, best video I've seen in ages, tremendous.

Where was the camera fixed, I seen the ball lead below it so was it at the trace end?

Phew excellent, must have a go at this with Tony's go pro 😀

Thanks Kev,

Norm
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Great vid Kevin, even spotted the sea urchin. Norman.......Tonys Go- pro. 😆

Comment

Great video Kevin. It's amazing how many fish were down there!

Graham.

Comment

Very interesting indeed, the fish seemed every bit as interested in the weight ( if not more) as they were in the baited lures!

Nice one.

Steve

Comment

Amazing Kev - just watched it at HQ

You've set the bar high
                      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

Fantastic to see below the boat, and how inquisitive the fish are, and how they que up waiting to take a lure or bait. Risky buisnes though dropping a camera amongst the kelp and rock. Supurb viewing. Get it down on a shallow wreck next, that would be something else
                        P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Cheers lads.

Paddlesac, the fish did seem interested in the cannon ball weight as much as the baited lures in that video and some others I took. It was still shiny and new which could have helped.

It was interesting to see how many fish were down there. The first place I fished was in 55 feet of water and had no weed and no fish. Further inshore, in 35 feet of water the video shows kelp growing, sea urchins, star fish and a lot of codling; perhaps a coincidence.

Norman, I’ve tried and failed several times to get any decent pictures. Eventually I tied the camera to some 50lb braid and fixed it and the trace to a length of garden cane with the weight that kept everything facing the right way. A flat piece of plastic on the top of the cane stopped the set-up spinning round too much. It got caught on the bottom quite often and using a 30lb trace saved the camera at the expense of some weights.

I’ve still not plucked up the courage to drop it over a wreck, and with the low water visibility, even on what looked like clear conditions from above, I’m not sure the video would be goup to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
                            Cheers lads.

Paddlesac, the fish did seem interested in the cannon ball weight as much as the baited lures in that video and some others I took. It was still shiny and new which could have helped.

It was interesting to see how many fish were down there. The first place I fished was in 55 feet of water and had no weed and no fish. Further inshore, in 35 feet of water the video shows kelp growing, sea urchins, star fish and a lot of codling; perhaps a coincidence.

Norman, I’ve tried and failed several times to get any decent pictures. Eventually I tied the camera to some 50lb braid and fixed it and the trace to a length of garden cane with the weight that kept everything facing the right way. A flat piece of plastic on the top of the cane stopped the set-up spinning round too much. It got caught on the bottom quite often and using a 30lb trace saved the camera at the expense of some weights.

I’ve still not plucked up the courage to drop it over a wreck, and with the low water visibility, even on what looked like clear conditions from above, I’m not sure the video would be goup to much.
                            100% success kevin mate .... well done, youve got us real interested in following suit. What camera was it?

cheers

Norm
                            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Last edited by Ray.J.; 04-10-2015, 03:35 PM. Reason: Double entry

Comment

Working...
                              X