Coming to Northumberland soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Northumberland soon

Coming to us soon, proposed Northumberland Special Protection Area (Birds Directive) it is likely that it will run out from Scremerston to the 6 mile limit then south more or less on the 6 mile limit then turn right inland to around the Blythe area. So most of the Northumberland Coast. I will keep a watch on this as the consultation period will only be 12 weeks.
    For those of you that cant sleep Natural England - Special Protection Areas

Just as an add on the use of edible crab (Cart) as bait for recreational fisherman is likely to law by next April or possibly before for Northumberland,
    in other words it will be lawful to use it in Northumberland unlike the present time.

Hi Les and thanks for the heads up. As a perpetual insomniac I've looked through the link and, to be honest, I can't find anything that tells me anything about anything. In the "How might SPA's affect you" section it says:

"Designation of an SPA is normally unlikely to have a major effect on how the underpinning SSSIs are already managed to conserve their biodiversity. We will work in partnership with those who own, use and manage land to make any necessary changes in the way in which it is managed"

I'm always nervous of the words "normally" and "unlikely". My understanding of this statement is "we can do what we want, if we want but we're not saying at the minute"

Also:

"As the statutory nature conservation body in England, Natural England is duty bound to ensure that SPAs are protected and managed favourably for conservation in line with the requirements of the Habitats and Wild Birds Directives. Our experience is that it is usually possible to find mutually acceptable solutions where sustainable land use and wildlife can flourish"

The "managing FAVOURABLY" is a worry as that, by definition, means someone else will be managed unfavourably.

So, a couple of questions, Les.

1. You mention the 6 mile limit but where does it start on the shore? - the high tide mark, the low tide mark, inland somewhere?

2. Is the Habitats scenario a posh way of introducing the bait digging argument as I note from the minutes of the NIFCA meeting dated 22nd April 2014 that, according to the Habitats Directive that fishing is a "plan" or "project" and, as such, would need approval in order to continue.

As always, thanks for your time on this.

Comment

My view at the moment is, paper parks.
      Pressure I am sure will come from some quarters I had an input into the Filey Brigg SPA and would expect from the RSA point of view no more than a code of conduct. It does mean of course we have another area designated under the European Habitats directive (that is my concern) but I do not see an appetite in the current political arena for strict regulation and management within the pSPA , Nigel is lurking as is the next election. It does however raise questions potentially over bait digging and another stupid bye-law such as Holy Island hand gathering to protect sea grass, fancy holding a sand castle building competition there, not illegal or even racing quad bikes, let alone hundreds of pilgrims marching through it.
      I believe it is from the high tide mark but remember many area's are terrestrial and managed under the habitats directive and on top of MCZ so European law will take precedence I would imagine.
      Bait digging is a right for personal use, not commercial, but can be regulated but not extinguished. We have some time with this and I have made my interest known to Natural England and await the consultation and invitation for RSA in Northumberland, DEFRA and NE know me well, lol
      Last edited by loopy; 24-07-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loopy View Post
        My view at the moment is, paper parks.
        Pressure I am sure will come from some quarters I had an input into the Filey Brigg SPA and would expect from the RSA point of view no more than a code of conduct. It does mean of course we have another area designated under the European Habitats directive (that is my concern) but I do not see an appetite in the current political arena for strict regulation and management within the pSPA , Nigel is lurking as is the next election. It does however raise questions potentially over bait digging and another stupid bye-law such as Holy Island hand gathering to protect sea grass, fancy holding a sand castle building competition there, not illegal or even racing quad bikes, let alone hundreds of pilgrims marching through it.
        I believe it is from the high tide mark but remember many area's are terrestrial and managed under the habitats directive and on top of MCZ so European law will take precedence I would imagine.
        Bait digging is a right for personal use, not commercial, but can be regulated but not extinguished. We have some time with this and I have made my interest known to Natural England and await the consultation and invitation for RSA in Northumberland, DEFRA and NE know me well, lol
        Hi Les,

I understand the "paper parks" analogy. It would be good if the status quo was maintained (not as good as it not existing at all mind) but won't certain conservation groups use the forthcoming election as a way to push forward their agenda? If they throw money at it I can't see them being happy with getting nothing in return.

Regarding the bait digging, have I missed something? (not an unusual event!) Has it been set in stone that recreational digging is OK but commercial is not? If so how do they differentiate between the two?

Is there a link to the Filey Brigg Code of Conduct. Would be interested in what it says.

David

Comment

Code of conduct

Hi Dave I hope this answers some of your questions, a friend from Newcastle Uni said to me the other day we are about to create the safest area at sea for birds to die in ! You only just have to look at Scotland, one week they announce all the MPAs with pomp and ceremony the next they have no intention of stopping or regulating scalloping within MPAs, politics, don't you just love it .

The judges also held "that a public right to take worms from the foreshore is recognised by the common law and may be properly be described as ancillary to the public right to fish. ... But it does not follow that the right is unrestricted or that it may be exercised by any member of the public at any time or place ... This means that in our judgement, that the taking of worms must be directly related to an actual or intended exercise of the public right to fish. Taking for commercial purposes such as sale clearly is not justified in this way. ...The rule, as we would state it, is that bait-digging on the foreshore is justified by the public right to take fish, when the bait is taken on or on behalf of persons who require it for use in the exercise of that right."
          Finally, the court concluded that the Alnwick byelaws were regulatory, not prohibitive, because Boulmer Haven was only a limited area, a small part of the foreshore within the local authority area, and an even smaller part of the Northumbrian foreshore. Although the area affected was larger than fishermen would like, it did not "prohibit them obtaining worms reasonably close by".

ANGLING CODE OF CONDUCT

Strictly no fishing from the cliff-top from 1st March to 30th September

This code of conduct applies to 3.4 miles of cliff top between Speeton Cliffs (TA160750) and North Dyke (TA213733), and includes the RSPB Bempton Cliffs Reserve which forms part of the Flamborough and Filey Coast proposed Special Protection Area (pSPA).

The pSPA is subject to legal protection because of the internationally important populations of breeding Gannet, Kittiwake, Guillemot and Razorbill.

All seabirds are protected under The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000).

Fishing from the cliff-top is permitted from
          1st October to 28th / 29th February

· No fishing from RSPB viewpoints when the RSPB Visitor Centre is open.

· If you cross the fence line, you do so entirely at your own risk. The cliffs are dangerous and there is a serious risk of slipping and falling which could result in serious injury or death.

· The use of ropes to access the beach is not authorised or approved by the landowner. No new ropes must be fixed or used under any circumstances to access the beach. The landowner accepts no liability whatsoever for any existing ropes affixed for this, or any other purpose, or for any accident or injury which may arise from the use of any ropes affixed to our land. Such ropes are used entirely at your own risk.

· Be considerate to other visitors and do not cross the fence at New Roll Up if families are present on the viewpoint. Children must be accompanied at all times

· All fishing tackle and litter to be removed from site.

· Strictly no vehicles on the cliff top without landowner’s consent.

· Ensure your safety and that of others at all times.

· Tackle to comprise minimum 30lb BS mainline: terminal tackle to

incorporate a rotten bottom and a minimum 50lb BS leader to

be used with any means of casting.

This code of conduct has been agreed by local angling clubs*, the RSPB and Natural England. All angling that takes place is agreed through the compliance of these codes – please respect this.

Amended March 2014

Comment

Thanks Les. I think that clears most of the points up.

Have walked the cliffs at Bempton a few times, though never fished there. Is the summer ban a new thing or has it always been the case?

Comment

Being PC I would say it was a temporary cessation during that year cycle to cover nesting breeding etc agreed by local anglers and clubs I guess it is compromise many folk enjoy the birds and local scenery only the Edmund Hillary's fish down the cliff hanging from ropes, lol It is new under the new SPA.

Comment

Map of proposed SPA

A possible new marine Special Protection Area for birds in Northumberland - TIN165

You have to download the PDF at the bottom of the page, this will give you all the current information. NE have made formal contact with me today and have offered a meeting should we need one.

Comment

The document shows that NE want to classify almost the entire Northumberland coast, shore and sea as a Special Protection Area. What protection will be imposed and how will it affect us?

Comment

Spa

A very good question and can only be answered by being involved with the consultation NE are legally obliged to consult, I think you probably know how many anglers will get involved, very few. As it stands I have made my presence known to NE and have had a presentation from them more or less along the lines of the web page. As soon as I know more I will post it here.

Comment

Working...
                    X