Is It Such A Wise Move ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Such A Wise Move ?

When we hear of Cod being caught and found to be full of roe.Wouldn't it be a wise move to help preserve the life of the fish and the future fish stocks which the roe could yield and releasing any back to spawn.
    It also seem's that when the chance's of cod full of roe increase the more anglers targeted them.Is it for the roe or for the photograph of that plumper fish for the album.
    If it is known that at a certain time of the year the cod are spawning why isn't there a closed season to try and prevent catches and hopefully increase stocks.
    obviously I'm not one of the men in white coats I've no knowledge or experience like most, a non expert this is just my own personal feelings.
    Maybe by posting this I may be educated. Educations a marvelous thing lets hope I and others learn from this, from those who know, are at the very least by those who think they know.
    Last edited by big sid; 15-02-2010, 12:24 AM.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

If you do google search on cod and spawning it throws up a few big questions and a lot of information. the following information is taken from a google search titled:
    Northern Cod -A Matter of Survival.
    "The cod is normally a deep water fish but comes into shallower waters to spawn. This usually happens between January and March. Some of the important spawning grounds for cod are found around the Lofoten Islands off the coast of Norway; along the coasts of Greenland and Iceland; and, of course, on Labrador's famous Hamilton Bank and the Grand Bank of Newfoundland. (Banks are shallow, more or less flat ocean areas near the coastline.)"

I think there is a lot of sense in having a close season for certain fish, at least from a commercial point of view. Of course anglers would have to exercise common sense and return them if carefully if caught between January and March.

Mind you could say the same applies to any food fish. It's a sad case of where do you draw the line and who decides to draw that line.
    Here fishy, fishy!

Comment

i agree that all fish need a break from been fished otherwise they will be gone 1 day

Comment

interesting are fish sustanable for ever i would say no, so some sort of fishing ban on certain species would help , to give them time to recover.

Comment

The End of the Line - North Tyneside Friends of the Earth.

Any one interested in attending?

The End of the Line is a feature documentary film revealing the impact of over fishing on the world's oceans.
          Filmed from the straits of Gibralter to the coasts of Senegal and Alaska to the Tokyo fish markets, and focuses on the imminent extinction of the Bluefin Tune due to increasing demand for sushi.

This film is being screened on Tuesday 26 October, 7.30 pm. The Trojan Rooms, South Parade, Whitley Bay.

(Bar available)

Comment

Cheers for that info. From now on no more taken home from jan, to march. I love fishing and would love to to say at leased i tryed to leave some for the future.

Comment

i agree with that mate other wise ther will be nothing left

Comment

yes well if they stop the foriegners and others ploughing the ground up in there freezer trawlers with the chains on it would conserve a hellover lot more than weel ever take and being real we dont take nowt compared to the boats and never will ,espescialy me im just there to make the numbers up and gut folks fish ect
                did eeerrrr ya snap it off like?thats a shame teeeheeeeheeeheeee and take your rubbish home and dont be a meth

Comment

Lets just not catch fish and get another hobbie LOL.

That would help me thinks.
                  Last edited by eddie t; 09-12-2010, 02:01 PM.
                  Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Originally posted by billbo View Post
                    Cheers for that info. From now on no more taken home from jan, to march. I love fishing and would love to to say at leased i tryed to leave some for the future.
                    Ya have more chance killing it pulling it though kelp and out the water so if thats the case lets not fish from jan to march

what we catch on a beachs will not have much effect to what boat do we are all fisherman and know what the crack is.
                    Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Working...
                    X