tuna at Roker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuna at Roker

Down the fish key today and there was two tuna in the box they saidthey were caught at roker in the net and he also caught one on rod and line at first he thought it was a horse mackrel. COME ON U TUNA I HOPE ITS TRUE.
    Last edited by dogman; 17-07-2011, 08:07 PM.

there was also a small tope from roker pier on friday night

Comment

tuna-------ROKER-------Ha--Ha

Tuna around Roker its abit of fishy tale dont you think. TOO---COOOOOOOOOLD.

Comment

thats strange as my m8 caught a tin of salmon from the ratty
        KOMPRESSOR SPORT
        PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
        PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
        OKUMA TRIO 55
        YUKI RUBYMAR
        RON THOMPSON TYRON
        SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Big-game tunny fishing off Scarborough was a sport practised by wealthy aristocrats and military officers mostly in the 1930s. The British Tunny Club was founded in Scarborough in 1933 and had its headquarters there. The Atlantic bluefin tuna (Thunnus Thynnus) (or "tunny" as it was known in Britain at the time) is a large and powerful fish, arguably the strongest fish in the world, which is frequently the target of big-game fishermen. Off the Yorkshire coast in that era various records were made (including a world record) for size of tunny caught with rod and line. Tunny was present in the North Sea until the 1950s when commercial herring and mackerel fishing depleted its food supply and it became extirpated.

One day they may return.... Hmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadji Kareem View Post
            Big-game tunny fishing off Scarborough was a sport practised by wealthy aristocrats and military officers mostly in the 1930s. The British Tunny Club was founded in Scarborough in 1933 and had its headquarters there. The Atlantic bluefin tuna (Thunnus Thynnus) (or "tunny" as it was known in Britain at the time) is a large and powerful fish, arguably the strongest fish in the world, which is frequently the target of big-game fishermen. Off the Yorkshire coast in that era various records were made (including a world record) for size of tunny caught with rod and line. Tunny was present in the North Sea until the 1950s when commercial herring and mackerel fishing depleted its food supply and it became extirpated.

One day they may return.... Hmmmmm!
            there is a pub in scarborough up a side street called Yorkshire arms they have a lot of old photos of tuna fishing in scarborough 1920 been in a few times when on me hols its a terraced house made into a small pub just down from the church bottom of the bank check it out if you are down that way very interesting
            consett warlord retired

Comment

Cheers I'll have a look, not been that far down for a while now. Noticed a thread on here showing pics from Scarborough and tuna "monster .... "

Comment

the pub is just up from the ice cream shop on the corner south bay traffic lights walk up past fish shop a small hill on the right go past the first pub look up to the top of the street see the church at the top the other pub just up there on your right its just a terraced house. at lot of boating people use it its full of sea going gear and pictures.
                consett warlord retired

Comment

Got loads of old photos of North Shields this was in with them dated 1915 and titled big fish looks like a tuna

Comment

would be nice to stick all the pictures on m8 very interesting if you have time
                    consett warlord retired

Comment

There's 450+ on a disc it would take forever m8

Comment

Have a brew half way through that 450😉

Comment

Originally posted by nunthorpe mag View Post
                          There's 450+ on a disc it would take forever m8
                          just stick a few good ones on now and again, I am sure a lot of the lads would be very interested in your pictures ( tuna south shields.)
                          the majority of the members are from the north east.
                          I would be glad to purchase a copy off you if you could spare the time and do one for me.
                          consett warlord retired

Comment

Your welcome to a copy m8 but there only one pic of a tuna the rest are photo's of North Shields at the turn of the century

pm me

Comment

Originally posted by nunthorpe mag View Post
                              Got loads of old photos of North Shields this was in with them dated 1915 and titled big fish looks like a tuna

That's amazing, nice picture, I'd never have thought of tuna on our coast line

Comment

Working...
                              X