Size matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size matters

I was reading some report the other day on the depletion of fish stocks around the UK. It made some interesting observations on fish sizes.
    Basically it made the case that the extensive netting, apart from taking the larger fish, has a knock on effect. As the fish that escape the net are generally small in size the evolutionary circle is turning.
    Smaller fish are left that don't become part of the food chain of larger fish so their inherent weaknesses such as abnormally small size are passed on to their young.
    Small begets small.

Evolution is favouring those fish that can escape the nets due to their being too small for capture in them, or unworthy of trying to net from the boats due to poor fishfinding profiles on the radar screen.

So the days of the bigun such as the monster cod of 3 feet in length that I knew as a boy aren't likely to return. Sorry for the bad news lads.
    Told the missus I was going on a diet. I'd only eat what I caught

Originally posted by Lynnzer View Post
    I was reading some report the other day on the depletion of fish stocks around the UK. It made some interesting observations on fish sizes.
    Basically it made the case that the extensive netting, apart from taking the larger fish, has a knock on effect. As the fish that escape the net are generally small in size the evolutionary circle is turning.
    Smaller fish are left that don't become part of the food chain of larger fish so their inherent weaknesses such as abnormally small size are passed on to their young.
    Small begets small.

Evolution is favouring those fish that can escape the nets due to their being too small for capture in them, or unworthy of trying to net from the boats due to poor fishfinding profiles on the radar screen.

So the days of the bigun such as the monster cod of 3 feet in length that I knew as a boy aren't likely to return. Sorry for the bad news lads.
    If you are interested, there are some cracking books out there such as 'The Unnatural History of the Sea, The End of the Line and 'Cod', which will give you a sobering thought about future fisheries. Those smaller fish you mention will breed at a much younger age and produce fewer offspring as well as like you say not having the evolutionary traits that their forefathers/mothers had in protecting them from predatation and disease.
    "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

The End of The Line

Lynnzer watch this

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

If you have an interest in this read "Silent Seas" by Isabella Lovin

Comment

Working...
      X