Drudge bay survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drudge bay survey

This may be of interest to some. I received some complaints a couple of years ago from anglers fishing a match about some trawling very close to the beach and made a statement to NIFCA that I thought it was a Turbot nursery area. NIFCA have kept there word and have started investigating. This is the result of the first survey.
    Last edited by loopy; 17-03-2016, 04:46 PM.

Originally posted by loopy View Post
    This may be of interest to some. I received some complaints a couple of years ago from anglers fishing a match about some trawling very close to the beach and made a statement to NIFCA that I thought it was a Turbot nursery area. NIFCA have kept there word and have started investigating. This is the result of the first survey.
    http://www.nifca.gov.uk/wp-content/u...eport-2015.pdf
    Thanks Les

Interesting reading and the results (although pending further investigation) hopefully bode well regarding Druridge being designated a nursery
    "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

give it a good read when I have had my bath
      Alan

Comment

excellent survey and very interesting, suprised there was only the one dab normally quite a few come from Druridge, certainly looks like an important spawning or safe haven for juvenile fish. And for those who can't find out where the fish are all you need is a hand held GPS and the info where to catch each species is given
        Alan

Comment

The number of plaice seems suspiciously high. Are we quite sure the surveyors know the different between flounder and plaice. Also, as Alan points out, one dab seems very odd.
          PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
            The number of plaice seems suspiciously high. Are we quite sure the surveyors know the different between flounder and plaice. Also, as Alan points out, one dab seems very odd.
            Think that's a bit unfair Ross. The survey was conducted by officers from Nifca, Newcastle University, The Environment Agency etc and had field guides to help identify species as well as those with experience on identification.

As with the Dab, any survey is a small snap shot in time of a certain area that has an infinite number of variables that can affect results which is why I'd like to see further investigation of the area to ascertain if there is the possibility of it being a nursery.
            "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Yeah, fair point, Red. I misunderstood - thought the survey was a mix of pros and volunteers ... It might be worth trying Druridge for plaice more often.
              PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
                Yeah, fair point, Red. I misunderstood - thought the survey was a mix of pros and volunteers ... It might be worth trying Druridge for plaice more often.
                from the results of the survey, it seems that may be a good plan, and who knows what else you may catch

Comment

sure the next survey will probably be very different from the first with as RED says so many variables
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X