Getting started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started.

I have lived in Consett now for nearly 20 years. My first love is Sea fishing. However its not the same as it used to be what with dwindling cod stocks.
    It has crossed my mind to try for Freshwater fish.
    The Derwent resevoir is on my doorstep and whilst cycling i have popped into the shop up there.
    I,m a bit lost where to start if i wanted to fish for trout.
    I,ve checked the licence £26 for none migratery and £66 for migratery.
    I could live with £26 and try the resevoir.
    Ihave checked on e-bay and some of the rods and reels are cheap as chips. Waders and net all seem reasonable.
    How much for a days fishing and what can you keep. I have heard up to eight fish.
    I might just give it a whirl its nearer than Sunderland and a bit of a challenge.
    Ps I have seen Nick Hayes on tv and seen lads at Allensford.
    Fly fishing looks very challenging and hard work.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

its very chalenging
    but its very rewarding
    £26 for a licence
    bloody hell thats went up a few quid
    you pay £18 for 8 fish and £25 if you want to keep 12
    some days you will get 12 other days you wont
    mind you
    now you can use anything to catch them apart from dynamite
    lol

good luck

sless

Comment

Go for it mate. IMO buy a half decent rod don't go for a £50 quid job but you don't need to spend much more than £100. Ask around, check some forums and buy the best line you can afford. Snowbee, Cortland and Shakespeare seem to be in the frame. Read a few books. Once you've got a reasonable box of flies "Bait" is cheap especially if you start tying your own. The added cost is what you pay for fishing commercial stillwaters. I pay £85 a year for decent fishing at Tunstall Resevoir (more if you want to keep fish) which is a cracking deal. It doesn't take long to get to grips with the basics but like most angling takes a lifetime + to master it. Some commercial waters can almost gaurantee you fish and even the laziest stocked fish needs playing a bit.
      "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
      Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

well said ell

sless

Comment

As you are just starting up, it would be beneficial to grab some tuition in relation to casting. It may seem expensive in the beginning but it will reward you tenfold in the long run, if not an instructer maybe an experienced angler in your area may help.

Best of luck in your new venture.

Comment

trout fishing.

I,ve seen them in the small pond opposite Knitsley Mill. Some massive trout. You could pick them up out of the pond and they are well fed off visitors (such as my son who chucks bread in).

I had a good mate who died about a year ago who fished the resevoir his name was Les Owens who was a pc in Durham police.

Another mate of mine is Brynn Lowrie and he fishes the resevoir.

I,ll have a tinker at the resevoir when the weather picks up and see how it goes.

Thanks Mick.
            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Working...
            X