Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpley Sunday Afternoon

Hello,
    The other week I fished a charity comp at Chatton and I was lucky enough to win a great selection of flies tied by Andy Richmond in the raffle at the end of the comp. I was itching to give them a go but I never had a chance until Sunday afternoon.
    I got there about 13:30 and set up on the Doxford lake. It was pretty windy with a strong South Easterly blowing but I got myself in a canny spot near the dam wall and tied on two of Andy's buzzers. First couple of casts I had nowt but on my third cast I was just creeping them back and getting ready to recast when a fish grabbed the point buzzer. It put up a really good scrap and as I got it close to the net I saw it was a Brownie.....my first on the fly. Gently I eased the net under it and pulled it near the bank...get in!! I was over the moon. I took a couple of snaps but they aren't the best as I left it in the water in the net and was keen to get it back quickly.

As I watched it swim off I eager to get a fly back in the water and I continued with the buzzers for about an hour without another touch. I switched to an intermediate and a black/green lure but I had no luck with that either.
    By now I had moved further round towards the corner and I watched as a bloke took four fish on an indicator/blob set up. As he left for home he told me he'd been using white blobs set at eight to ten feet.
    I changed my set up again and tied on one of Andy's white blobs and a small buzzer on the dropper. A while went by without any takes but when I shortened the drop to about six or seven feet I started to get a few takes and soon I had a good rainbow in the net.

I had moved now to the far end of the dam wall and the wind here was making it very hard going for me but it didn't matter so much as I was getting takes very close it and managed another two fish.
    I watched this guy doing well fishing a dry hares ear....he had four fish I think....close in casting into the wind.

As I was walking back around to head off home I stopped for a couple of casts at the peg where I first started with the wind on my back. I was fishing just on the edge of the weeds quite close in and as I watched my indicator slowly but purposely disappeared....very different to the other takes I'd been getting. I lifted into it and at first I thought I'd hooked a lump of weed but it soon became apparent that this was a canny fish. The fish stayed deep down and after a little struggle I had it in the net and it was a good fish, about six or seven pounds......what a way to finish. I never took a photo of this fish as again I was keen to release it but a few guys saw me get it and I got a "well done" off one.
    So that was my day and I was realy pleased with it, only five fish but good ones and my first Brownie.....and all on Andy's flies.....thanks again Andy.
    I've been fishing Sharpley a good bit this year and I really enjoyed the fine summer evenings we had......the fishing was hard but I learned a lot about dry fly fishing and I'm looking forward to next summer now. Sharpley is a great fishery and it's well worth a visit if you have never been.

Thanks for reading, Regards Ian.

Looks like you had a great session, Ian. Its a couple of months since I last fished Sharpley, must make the effort and go back

Ali
    UKCC Level 2 Game Angling Coach

Comment

Crackin report Ian sounds like you had a great time in chalenging conditions, its years since I fished sharpley but its a great place with plenty of varied areas, well done

Steve

Comment

Great report Ian, bet that Brownie made you feel good. Well done on the biggie too.
        The average size of Fish seems to have gone down at Sharpley, seems a hell of a lot around the 2lb mark now. Was there last Tuesday & had 12 out but most were small. Havnt been able to get over there as much recently for Family reasons & now the Shore fishing.

Comment

Thanks all.
          There was good fish caught yesterday Bob....the lad I saw catching on the blob had one about 6lb and another two of his fish were good 4lb'ers.....all good to see.
          I've been giving the Doxford some attention as I always hope that I 'm going to get the tagged fish, dream on eh!!

Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
          X