Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynnzer View Post
    Makes you wonder why?
    If there's no fishing at all then it generally means the actual landowner has banned it.
    Is it a club water and are the signs for Fishing by members only I wonder.

Now, have had a word with a lad in Dragon Carp in Peterlee this morning.
    His dad owns the Paradise lakes at Witton Park. He says they're well stocked with everything from carp to gudgeon.
    Season permits are £99.

The lakes over the road at Escombe are free by payment at the riverbank if the farmer catches you.
    Could well be worth a trip especially as there's supposed to be some big pike in there.
    Thanks for all the info!
    I haven't checked in for a while, tried today but blanked on the lower tees.
    It is just pike I am after really.
    "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

Comment

Originally posted by Fishery Pokery View Post
      Thanks for all the info!
      I haven't checked in for a while, tried today but blanked on the lower tees.
      It is just pike I am after really.
      If you give Escomb a try let us know the results.
      I'm into giving it a go myself when the tides aren't right for doing some blank sea fishing trips. It's either or for me. Enjoy both.

I'm also a keen perch bagger and I loved to fish the moat at Raby Castle years ago. All closed down now though.

There used to be one hell of a pike pond on Burtree Road in to Darlington from the Burtree Caravan junction. I fished it a few times with my dad, and believe me that was one hell of a long time ago.
      I believe it was part of the police angling club waters but it was filled in years ago. What the hell is with these people....
      I see there's another pond just along from there but is part of a nature reserve so fishing is doubtful. That's Drinkfield Marsh Nature Reserve. Some of these smaller ponds have hidden delights but of course are useless if fishing isn't allowed.
      The lake in South Park, Darlington also had pike in it. Dunno what it holds now.
      Last edited by Lynnzer; 05-01-2014, 10:06 PM.
      Told the missus I was going on a diet. I'd only eat what I caught

Comment

I'm into giving it a go myself when the tides aren't right for doing some blank sea fishing trips. It's either or for me. Enjoy both.

I'm also a keen perch bagger and I loved to fish the moat at Raby Castle years ago. All closed down now though.

There used to be one hell of a pike pond on Burtree Road in to Darlington from the Burtree Caravan junction. I fished it a few times with my dad, and believe me that was one hell of a long time ago.
        I believe it was part of the police angling club waters but it was filled in years ago. What the hell is with these people....
        I see there's another pond just along from there but is part of a nature reserve so fishing is doubtful. That's Drinkfield Marsh Nature Reserve. Some of these smaller ponds have hidden delights but of course are useless if fishing isn't allowed.
        The lake in South Park, Darlington also had pike in it. Dunno what it holds now.
        I read your thread about the Team Valley (where I often find myself with work).
        It's sad so much of the free fishing has been eroded away.
        "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

Comment

I read your thread about the Team Valley (where I often find myself with work).
          It's sad so much of the free fishing has been eroded away.
          The Team Valley would seem to be OK along Queensway. Actually the river is down a way and anyone sitting there will be out of sight of passing traffic. The road alongside has markings for parking a car there too so this makes life easy.

Whether or not any chub or dace have found their way down there yet is anyone's guess. It may be a little early.

The stretch upstream of Birtley may also be available if you can get the landowners permission. I haven't tried that stretch. Might be fruitful. There looks to be some good lies from the photos taken.

Apart from that though, the availability of permit free stretches of water in the region is thin.
          If anyone else knows of any I'd be keen to hear of them.

Comment

Which lake exactly is the farmers one?
            I've had a look on the maps and there are a lot of lakes together.
            Is it the most easterly one?
            Cheers

Comment

Which lake exactly is the farmers one?
              I've had a look on the maps and there are a lot of lakes together.
              Is it the most easterly one?
              Cheers
              That's the one. I think the next one up is his too but the big one certainly is.

Now, I used to deliver goods to an address in Byers Green many years ago. I often wondered about the gravel pit lakes there too. These are the ones at the bend in the river between Byers Green anbd Newfield.

They looked very good and very pikey too.
              Will have a look next time I'm past that way. Maybe someone has knowledge of them already?

Comment

The ponds a newfield are willington angling club water. They have pike in and various other course fish. Jigging a dead bait seems to be the best way to catch. Day tickets available from the post office in willington or thats how it use to be 😏

Comment

We lose a lot of venues because of the crap and rubbish left behind by cretans.

Comment

Damned EEC

I knew we shouldn't have allowed Cretonia into the EEC.
                    Next thing you know they'll be bringing over their catfish to eat us all out of house and home

Comment

Working...
                    X