Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakes or rivers for starter

Hi everyone,
    I am just getting into my piking and am struggling a bit!
    I have been trying rivers that have loads of pikey looking haunts but have not had a sniff.
    The river looked canny coloured up to my untrained eye and I was trotting baits down to the likely spots.
    I know locating the fish is the biggest part of the battle and was wondering if, as a starter I'd be better of fishing lakes instead of the rivers as fish location would be a little easier and the water would be clearer?
    I thought I could leger a bait casting around during the day and use a drifter on another rod.
    Which type of venue would you recommend, and have you any tips?

Cheers in advance,
    Geoff
    "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

My advice would be to start on lakes, rivers hold snags and unless you have the right gear 20 lb+ mono or 50lb+ braid with the correct rod you will encounter problems. Plus the rivers are moody, rain and colour means no fish

Comment

Originally posted by Jimk2 View Post
      My advice would be to start on lakes, rivers hold snags and unless you have the right gear 20 lb+ mono or 50lb+ braid with the correct rod you will encounter problems. Plus the rivers are moody, rain and colour means no fish
      Thanks Jim.
      I do have braid loaded reels and stiff rods as I have bought some bits and bobs and had a lot of gear from my sea fishing.
      Where do you normally find the river state before travelling or is it just a case of having a look, as the local rivers are quite a drive.
      Someone did suggest I should have legered to give the pike time to locate my bait, but I was travelling light and hadn't took the necessary gear. Think I will have to carry more gear next time.
      Cheers.
      "My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

Comment

I have a couple of mates who constantly monitor the river levels, you can do it from the EA web pages. Just google the river of choice and you will find it.

I personally wouldn't fish the rivers in flood or coloured. You want a good low level without colour and fish the slacks. The last time I fished a river was September, I think they have been out of sorts since. I did have a session down south planned for tomorrow but had to cancel due to flooding.

Comment

Here you go mate,i use these for my Salmon fishing.
          I mostly use the Wear ones but you can find all other rivers as well.

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Wear, at Durham City

Comment

Originally posted by Jimk2 View Post
            I have a couple of mates who constantly monitor the river levels, you can do it from the EA web pages. Just google the river of choice and you will find it.

I personally wouldn't fish the rivers in flood or coloured. You want a good low level without colour and fish the slacks. The last time I fished a river was September, I think they have been out of sorts since. I did have a session down south planned for tomorrow but had to cancel due to flooding.
            That's a great help Jim.
            Is the rivers colour directly linked to the water levels?
            I will try a lake this weekend and try to keep an eye on the rivers levels so I can have another bash if the water clears.
            Thanks again Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
              Here you go mate,i use these for my Salmon fishing.
              I mostly use the Wear ones but you can find all other rivers as well.

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Wear, at Durham City
              Thanks very much, will keep checking from now on.
              I did check before I went last time, and the site said it was at average levels, but maybe I misunderstood.
              Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X