Your Thoughts Please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts Please ?

I very recently posted a thread regarding flyline backing. I am reading Allan Sefton's Book 'Trout fishing for beginners' and he maintains that no more than 50m of fly line backing on the reel ? What are your thoughts on this as the reel I have is a greys gs5000 and Greys state on their website various lengths of backing for various lines ! Totally confused now !

Cheers.

AA.

You only really need enough backing to fill the reel when the line is on top to give you a better retrieve.Very few trout will take loads of backing in a fight.
    The easiest way to measure how much you need is to wind the fly line onto the reel then tie on the backing and wind on enough till theres around 1/4 inch from the rim of the spool.Make sure and start from the front of the line.
    Pull it all back off the reel then tie the backing to the spool and wind it on the right way.
    This saves trying to guess how much to use and the reel will be filled correctly.

Comment

I've fly fished since I was a small boy, backing on your line is only to stop massive memory in your line. My dad always said display your flies perfect on the water. Your reel is only a vessel that holds your line. We used to use wool as backing in the 80's and 90's but if your flush use braid and put fly line inside braid strands and superglue.
      ZZiplex m427, Hulk model
      Okuma trio Rex
      Aerlex 7000xsa
      Penn spinfisher 7500 lc

Comment

Now Ive thought about it use wool and save braid for making shooting heads!!
        ZZiplex m427, Hulk model
        Okuma trio Rex
        Aerlex 7000xsa
        Penn spinfisher 7500 lc

Comment

Very rarely will you be taken into ypur backing,unless your salmon or seatrout fishing most big fish ie rainbows burn themselves out quite quickly and just sit on the bottom and sulk

Terry

Comment

My mate got a 12 and a half pounder at Sharpley last Sunday, took him right down to the last couple of yards of backing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
              You only really need enough backing to fill the reel when the line is on top to give you a better retrieve.Very few trout will take loads of backing in a fight.
              The easiest way to measure how much you need is to wind the fly line onto the reel then tie on the backing and wind on enough till theres around 1/4 inch from the rim of the spool.Make sure and start from the front of the line.
              Pull it all back off the reel then tie the backing to the spool and wind it on the right way.
              This saves trying to guess how much to use and the reel will be filled correctly.
              am amased how something so simple, make's so much sense.
              well done bushwhacker,

AA, a used 2 work with a great lad, a legend in fly/freshwater fishing, could put you in touch if you wish.

Comment

Thanks for all the help Lads, great bits of info there and its much appreciated.
                Davey - I have sent you a p.m. Mate.

Cheers,

AA.

Comment

Right Lads and Lasses, lessons learned !! I bought a couple of spools of 30lb breaking strain backing. They were 75m in length for each spool. I really wanted 20lb breaking strain but the tackle dealer didnt have any in stock. I wound each spool onto the spare reel spools as advised and was very lucky to get the 75m backing AND the fly line onto the spool !! To be honest, I think that 50m of backing would have been ample which begs the question why are Greys, (the reel is a GX500), advising various amounts of backing on this reel far in excess as to what the reel will actually hold ?? Or, is it me ???

Cheers.

AA.

Comment

I take no notice at all of the manufacturers, wind ya flyline onto a spare spool, then attach the backing, then spool in onto your fly reel and you have the exact amount you need
                    FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Cheers Jimmy Mate, thats exactly what I did and just made it in getting 75m on ! 75m is a far cry from what Greys stated ! I will know better next time though.

Cheers.

AA.

Comment

George m8, mr tuck is expecting your phone call,

what he doesn't know about your kind of fishing won't really matter

good luck m8

Comment

Aye Davey Mate. Havent had a minute to myself of late but I will get round to giving him a buzz,

Cheers Davey.

AA.

Comment

Working...
                          X