pike fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pike fishing

been into pike fishing for about 8months now thinking of fishing a couple of weeks time .is it a bit slow this time of year for pike ?????????

Hi Bronson.
    Its certainly a decent time of year to give piking a go. No coarse fishing is exactly hectic at this time of year but piking does offer a good chance of catching.

Look for the deepest area where the food fish are holed up for the winter, the pike will congregate in these areas for the easy meal.

On rivers look for backwaters and deeper glides where small fish go to shelter from floods.

Where you find the food you will find the pike congregating to take advantage.

Cheers
    Dave
    Save our Sharks Member
    SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
    NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Just to add, that Dead baiting is more or less the ony winter method for pike.

Comment

Originally posted by davem2005 View Post
        Hi Bronson.
        Its certainly a decent time of year to give piking a go. No coarse fishing is exactly hectic at this time of year but piking does offer a good chance of catching.

Look for the deepest area where the food fish are holed up for the winter, the pike will congregate in these areas for the easy meal.

On rivers look for backwaters and deeper glides where small fish go to shelter from floods.

Where you find the food you will find the pike congregating to take advantage.

Cheers
        Dave
        thanks of the free info mate nice one!

Comment

Pike Fishing

BRONSON IT IS ALWAYS SLOW WEN YOU GO FISHING MATE. GIVE ME A SHOUT MATE AND ILL HAVE A DODGE. MAD MOUAT.

Comment

I would also try smaller baits on the hooks this time of year a three oz roach will have more results than a half pound mackerel, also try lures fished very slowly across the bottom. contact your local branch of PAC they will give you all the info you need.
            www.topfishingtackle.co.uk
            LIVE THE DREAM

Comment

Never caught a pike but looks like a challenge.
              I have my frah water licence for trout etc.
              Is this ok for pike.
              I will be giving it a go.
              Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

yes your fresh water licence covers you for trout and course mate
                but they are up for renewal real soon think its 15th of march
                Last edited by gazzawill; 04-03-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gazzawill View Post
                  yes your fresh water licence covers you for trout and course mate
                  but they are up for renewal real soon think its 15th of march
                  1st of April Coarse season ends 15th March.

As for Original posters question, I find pike fishing quite slow this time of year generally speaking but the benefit is the fish when you do catch 'em are bigger and more filled out (because they are getting ready to spawn).

As has been mentioned deadbaits are the way to go, try and find deeper water on stillwaters, as always dawn and dusk being best time.

Comment

Working...
                  X