new starter + help with location.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new starter + help with location.

hi im looking to start fly fishing, i was just wondering if you could give me a little bit of help. i live in newcastle and i know that theres a salmon river near durham next to a roundabout, but i just dont know what its called, i was wondering if you could help me with the little info ive given then i would be greatful, also if you could give me some info on some start rods, lines, flys and reels that would be great.

welcome aboard dan,

If its durham, it'll be the Wear.

as for a starter outfit... where do you reckon you'll fish most and what for, could make a big difference. I'd say spend as much as you can on the rod, and just a cheap reel to get you going, the reel is really just there to hold the line anyway.

same with line, when you're learning to cast, especially if your going to practice on a field, go for a cheap line as well, it'll probably get trashed quite quickly.

give us an idea of how much you want to spend and I'm sure someone will give you some good ideas
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

same with line, when you're learning to cast, especially if your going to practice on a field, go for a cheap line as well, it'll probably get trashed quite quickly.
      Yup learnt that lesson - and bust me new rod as well. back to the shop on Saturday for me
      "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
      Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
        hi im looking to start fly fishing, i was just wondering if you could give me a little bit of help. i live in newcastle and i know that theres a salmon river near durham next to a roundabout
        There's a chuffing great big salmon river running through the middle of Newcastle too!

Like Mark said though, where do you reckon you'll fish most and what for? Rivers or still water? Salmon or trout? Brownies or rainbows? Obviously, you can change your mind as often as you like as you go along, but it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing a bit more about what you're interested in to start with. Do you have transport BTW? If not, then that narrows things down a bit too.

Comment

Do you have transport BTW?
          If so you can park on the roundabout and cast from there

Sorry

You'll get some great ideas here but if you haven't already join some of the flyfishing forums Fly Fishing Forums - Powered by vBulletin is great, lurk around for a while and have a rummage

Comment

id rather go to durham probably, its running water i think, id rather go to a secluded part where i can do my thing, learn stuff bit by bit without looking like a fool to the others. what rod would be best? and what line? plus where could i get decent fly fishing clothing gear? for decent prices?

Comment

also is it ok to start fishing for salmon now? has the season started yet?

Comment

i think it may very well be the wier. is it ok to fish it now? i do have a license, just brought one earlier. also are you able to take what you eat? and what fish does it actually have in it apart from salmon which i know of, and does it matter what part of it i fish ? or is it going to be riddled with them?

Comment

Aaawwww don't say you're being funny I typed loads of advice

Comment

K N O B H E A D

Comment

what you talking about? what have i done now

Comment

As you are a brand new member saying "What have I done now?" suggests a lot you fool

Comment

Will you be using ya macky daylites for Salmon?
                          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

....it's not Henda is it?
                            Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                            I AGREE

Comment

Mate, reading your questions you really have a lot of information to gather before you even think about Salmon fishing.
                              You state you think the place you want to fish has running water you will be hard pushed to find salmon in any other type of water except special fisheries.
                              You may find that for by a rod licence you also have to have a permit to fish the river of your choice + a possible extra permit if you are fishing a tidal stretch
                              Salmon season starts tommorow and closes on the last day of October, I think there is still a conservation scheme active at the moment where all salmon have to be released until sometime in june/July, you will have to check this out to confirm the situation.
                              At this time of year there are fish that have spawned returning to the sea
                              ( kelts ) these must be returned, failure to do so will result in a heavy fine and possible forfeiture of your gear.
                              All in all mate, I would try and get in touch with a regular fisherman and ask for some information before you start spending your cash, I'm sure there are loads of people out there who are willing to help.
                              If you get yourself sorted, salmon fishing is magic and you will have some wonderful times to look forward to, just take your time ,suss out your requirements and you will be ok.
                              Best of Luck

seddo

Comment

Working...
                              X