First go at fly fishing, River Swale 27/04/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First go at fly fishing, River Swale 27/04/14

I got some fly fishing gear earlier in the year but hadn't had a chance to use it, but this weekend I was down in the Yorkshire Dales, so thought I'd take the gear and have a couple of hours this afternoon on my way home.

I'd bought a day pass for the Richmond Angling club, so found a nice looking spot on the River Swale, just next to the Marske bridge

Spent the first hour or so teaching myself how to cast; was a bit rubbish at first and got snagged in some trees behind me, then I got snagged in some trees on the opposite bank! but I soon got the hang of it.

I didn't really think i'd catch anything so I was quite amazed when I felt the rod go, and pulled in my first ever Trout

I tried a few different spots further down the river, but had no luck so went back to the original spot, and got another trout, slightly bigger this time

I got both of them on a size 16 CDC Olive F Fly. And they both went back alive and kicking.

I don't think I'll be giving up the sea fishing, but I'm definatley looking forward to doing plenty more river fishing.

Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
    Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
    Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Fantastic mate! Looking forward to trying it myself this year but probably just ponds/lakes not rivers

Comment

welldone m8, never fancied fishing for them, but a like eating them.....!

Comment

Great stuff Andy, there's nothing like just getting out there and giving it a go. Cracking first go with the fly mate.
        People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Thanks very much lads. These definitely weren't big enough to eat! but maybe get some bigger ones soon!

Originally posted by lambengland View Post
          Fantastic mate! Looking forward to trying it myself this year but probably just ponds/lakes not rivers
          I'll probably have a go in a fishing lake as well, try for a monster, but I do like the idea of fishing on rivers, even if the fish are smaller!

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

Quality Andy mate a big welldone
            KOMPRESSOR SPORT
            PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
            PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
            OKUMA TRIO 55
            YUKI RUBYMAR
            RON THOMPSON TYRON
            SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
              Quality Andy mate a big welldone
              Cheers mate

Comment

Nice one you will have the bug now for sure

Comment

Well down mate... There is a small fly fishing lake in Gateshead, 'foxponds', might be worth a shot at some point. Well done on catching!
                  "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                  PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Well done mate, excellent. I've just got into it myself.
                    Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

there bigger than the ones you catch on s/s pier haha,a big well done andy. davy.
                      PB
                      COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                      COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                      Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                      Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                      Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                      Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                      Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

Some great water on there.

I would highly recommend joining Richmond ac if you could see yourself doing a fair bit if fishing on it, lovely water
                        Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by davidhayley1945 View Post
                          there bigger than the ones you catch on s/s pier haha,a big well done andy. davy.
                          I'm sure I've caught a couple of bigger fish than that on ssp

Comment

Originally posted by jimlad View Post
                            Some great water on there.

I would highly recommend joining Richmond ac if you could see yourself doing a fair bit if fishing on it, lovely water
                            It is a lovely place, As a kid i spent all my holidays in the Dales so I do love the area and will definitely be doing more fishing there,

So I've been thinking about joining the Richmond club; annual membership works out about the same as 7 day passes, and will be easier if I fancy going down on an evening or a Sunday.

Do you know if they have reciprocal rights with any other clubs?

Comment

On the website it mentions a few clubs that have exchange tickets with them, including barnard castle ac.

That bend below mercury bridge is a bit of a summer barbel peg as well as chub. They tend to go back downstream in winter but it's a lovely place to be, like you say
                              Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X