braided loops, nail knot or grays for connecting leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braided loops, nail knot or grays for connecting leaders

Just wondering what peoples preference or which is best for connecting your leader to your fly line ? I've heard the nail knot can cut through your main line and of braid loops coming adrift. I'm confused lol
    Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

I've always used a braided loop mate and I've never had one come loose once you glue it down (touch wood)

I generally shorten mine with scissors, then prefer to thread it up as far as it will go, put the sleeve around the frayed end then a tiny dab of superglue around the sleeve to hold it

Never had a problem.
    Liam

Comment

nail knot

Found with nail knot you have to re do it ever few outings your forward taper shorting each time I only change loop once a year
      old anglers never die -they just smell that way

Comment

Braided loop for me quick and easy,should never come loose if put on correctly

Comment

As said braid loop dab of glue and forget about it 😊

Comment

Originally posted by bigtel View Post
            Braided loop for me quick and easy,should never come loose if put on correctly
            Thanks lads its all new to me.
            Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Hello Nicky,
              It's all new to me too, I haven't been fly fishing long, I just stick with braided loops. Don't put too much superglue on though as it wicks through the braid and makes it stiff......just a dab will do. I also trim them down like L_muslibar has suggested as it makes them neater.

I have recently bought some Roman Moser loops and they are very good.....nice and neat. I think they are the best I've seen but a bit more expensive.

If you are feeling adventurous some lads like to "weld" a loop in the end of their lines. I've not tried this so cannot comment but it looks a good job. There are some good videos on you tube. Good luck.

Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
              X