Still green as grass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still green as grass.

Well lads i,m getting the waders. I,ve got the greentree camo coat. I will look the part but really i am still a complete novice with fly fishing.
    I caught a few last year standing on a rock with my wellies on using a golden fritz with a black fly on the bottom.
    This season i must look into the other methods.(sinking lines and intermediate). Probs need another reel with changeable spool.
    Used other flies and lures last year but only orange fritz and big black fly any good.
    Also only ever used floating line.
    You can bet i will pick up more this season.

Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

get yersel up to cow green, floating line and a box full of black floaty things - hoppers, gnats, hawthorns, pennels, and have a wander, few casts, then move on, few more casts and so on

its a completely wild fishery, not a stockie in sight and you'll learn more (well I did) in a day up there about trout than in any of the stockie waters, and the fish even taste like fish!

bad news is they put the price up to 8 quid (in the honesty(!) box)
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Mark how do i get to Cow Green.

Cheers Mick.

Comment

Google found it.
        Cow Green Reservoir, North Pennines, Cumbria and Durham

Comment

aye its a bit out the road, but worth it. the best fishing is right at the western end where the river runs in, which is a bit of a hike. If you get that far, cross the river and fish the bays on the south side just after the river, then work back.

Either hike your way there and then fish your way back or vice versa,

there's thousands of small fish, half pounders maybe, with a the odd 2lber and the much fabled ferox once in a blue moon - Durham university did some research about 10 years ago and netted a 14lber

but even the little uns are quite scrappy, and takes are real hit and run affairs

Unlike the stockie waters, if you catch one, move on a bit - especially if you put it back, they're sneaky little blighters and tell all their mates there's a gadgy trying to yark em out by the heed, so the fishing usually switches off for a bit

personal faves are things like hoppers, black or claret, black gnats, or pennels

may/june can be mental, even april gets lively after a warm spell, 100 fish in an afternoon is not unusual!, still fishes well early on, but the fish are a bit on the skinny side after the winter

been up there for years and only ever seen one other person fishing, nearest you can get to wild scottish hill loch fishing without going to scotland

can't beat it for value, even at the new price, think the take limit is something like 16 fish for you're 8 quid!

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

Now that I am struggling to fling a beachcaster with a six ounce lead around, I might just have a look up there Mark. It isn't that far from me, certainly no further than I travel to the coast sometimes lol, cheers for the info mate.

Jim.
            Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

if you fancy it jim, happy to play Ghillie for the day (ell makes me practise my bestest Ghilliesque forelock tugging everytime), got a shed load (literally ) of fly gear if you need anything

I like the place for the peace and solitude as much as anything else

can be a bit heavy going yomping about though

Thought for the day:

Comment

I will have to take it slowly but if I travel lightly enough I should manage ok. Going to wait a couple of months and build my strength up a bit more first though mate. I will be in touch before I go though Mark.

Jim.

Comment

Jim when the weather picks up and it gets a bit warmer you could go up to the Derwent. Fish next to the dam. This is very user friendly-not to far from the car. You could try a bit of ledgering.
                  I could give you a hand with your gear etc. When you get yourself sat in the folding chair it will be like sitting in the lounge.
                  In a few months like you say you should be feeling a lot better so if you want we will have a look up.

Mick.

Comment

I can also vouch for what Mark has suggested. Cow Green is a cracking fishery, there seems to be fish in every bay and if you can time it so the weather is favourable you'll have a great day... thats the secret about Cow Green - keep an eye of the weather, if its breezy in the dale it will be wild up at Cow Green,

good luck

JamesC

Comment

Cheers for the offer Mick, I will let you know mate. I do intend to have a look to the Derwent but want to try a bit of fly fishing too.

A good bit of advice James, it can get very windy up there lol.

Jim.

Comment

No probs Jim, i,ll see you in Morrisons near the wet fish. I often have a look in there to remind me what cod look like.

Comment

i tryed to fish up the derwnt 2day mick but it was shut due to half an inch of snow, lol, grassholme was shut aswell so i ended up fishing at fontburn didnt do to bad got 5 rainbows out, but they dont give you a fight like the fish at the derwent do, next time you go up mate if you gimme a shout i will have a look up with u as i only live in sunny stanley, lol

Comment

meet

mick, trying to arrange a meeting convenient to all where i can give you some valuable tips on what to buy as regards lines flies etc. the most expensive is not always the best, and some flies catch anglers and not fish!

Comment

dare i say trout poppers i bought a load of them and ive not had a take on any of them
                              they took me though
                              hahha

sless

Comment

Working...
                              X