Sharperly springs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharperly springs.

Had my first ever visit to the fishery yesterday ( in fact any fishery). Impressed with the friendly welcome. Think the lad was called Dave. Started on main lake and thought its going to be like shooting fish in a barrel here - how bloody wrong was I.
    Tried everything in the book from 12.15pm until 6 pm and blanked. Got one pull on an orange fritz and that was it.
    Trout and I saw real big ones go past were taking black flies from the surface. Had a few but fish not interested.
    Left feeling cheesed off but that's fishing I suppose.
    Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Had exactly the same experience at Sharpley a few years ago, haven't fished there for a couple of years but found it a real challenge until one of the regulars took pity on me and showed me how he fished it...... Very small black skinny buzzers....size 16 to 18 hooks..... Moving to olive late spring..... Red or orange cheek..... Ultra slow retrieve.....just keeping in touch with the drift really....slightest stop or movement in the drift of your line is a fish....lift into it no strike....I had 12 good fish that day (he gave me some of his buzzers) had some great sessions over a couple of seasons. Did find it more difficult as summer went on, other regulars still catching so still fish are there if fished right, my experience has been it responds well to naturals that are well matched to what is happening in the water but can be difficult if you are a little off the mark. Really frustrating seeing lots of fish ignore what you are doing!! Must get back and fish it soon!

Comment

Sharpley can be tough place mick especially when sunny,take some cdc emergers next time especially if they feeding on top,dont be scared to pull them under or figure of 8 them just under

Comment

mick sharply can be hard going at times, myself and paul telford go around 5 times a year and we have never had a good session, the fish are there in numbers its stocked each Friday, but we just can not connect with them more so the big lads that swim around.
        next time you go ask dave for some fly advice or the old lad that does the fly tying in the lodge they give good advice.
        or if you are fly fishing now pop down to knitsley lot closer for you.
        just down the road from me. I had a good day down there the other week on a sporting ticket.
        consett warlord retired

Comment

Just started fishing it lately since I took up fly fishing. I've done well on the usual lures but take most my fish off the top on suspender buzzers when they're rising. Or fish an epoxy buzzer below it at various depths. Still all new to me though.
          Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Went today and it was tough. Not stocked again so don't know whats going on there. They missed 2 weeks in a row last time.
            Had 3 & very little in the way of interest at all so not a good day. Very little surface activity from 3.30 pm start to 9pm finish.

Comment

Bob one of the old boys was telling me he saw it being stocked lately. I could also see plenty rising for the black hawthorn flies. I just think they are stuffed after all the flies landing on the water. I also saw tadpoles. So plenty of natural feed.
              Dale I am going to try Knitsley next. Seems daft not to try with it being so near. I also know the lad who owns and runs it. Sporting ticket for me.
              Mick.
              Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Working...
              X