Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poaching/illegal fishing laws

Hi all,

I was asking in a local tackle shop about fly fishing the Wansbeck recently and was told it's all controlled by societies and clubs. Glad I asked because I had assumed the section that goes through the town of Morpeth was free. Obviously, I didn't fish. However, it did make me wonder whether there is any distinction between poaching and illegal fishing in the law.

If I had fished the river, catching and releasing (and I must stress that I DIDN'T!), would I have been accused of poaching or just of fishing without permission?

Thanks for any help
    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Id say fishing without a licence me mate poaching is totally differnt in my opinion. Heavy fines if caught fishing without licence and your gear could be taken off you not worth the risk. This is just my opinion like I dont no for sure

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
      Hi all,

I was asking in a local tackle shop about fly fishing the Wansbeck recently and was told it's all controlled by societies and clubs. Glad I asked because I had assumed the section that goes through the town of Morpeth was free. Obviously, I didn't fish. However, it did make me wonder whether there is any distinction between poaching and illegal fishing in the law.

If I had fished the river, catching and releasing (and I must stress that I DIDN'T!), would I have been accused of poaching or just of fishing without permission?

Thanks for any help
      Hi Ross, there is a free stretch running through Morpeth so you only need a National Rod licence to legally fish it.

The Wansbeck Angling Association control most of the fishing below Morpeth, whereas most of the fishing above Morpeth is private.

This link has some excellent info:

For fishing rules and regulations I suggest you read the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

I hope this helps.

Tightlines!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. Great news that some of the Wansbeck is free. Cheers. R
        PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

a bit late i know but free bit starts above waterfall at east mill about 200yards down from st georges hosp turn upto ladies walk must be a good mile and a bit all through the town best to go sharp before the boats start and people get up rod licence required daily weekly or yearly tight lines
          polecat

Comment

Yeah, as said there is a free stretch running through morpeth. Some good marks to fish aswell but if u want to fish the stretch with the boats on, get there early. If fly fishing, try by the stepping stones and use something with a bit of red in it. If bait fishing, wait until the river is in a bit of flood and fish the ladies walk area. Have had brownies up to 3.5lb from there.

Comment

Working...
            X