Curious question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious question

Hello lads not being awkward or funny here but what pleasure is there fishing stocked ponds? I can see the excitement of light gear but surely there is not excitement of the hunt?

Fun and learning I suppose, I love taking my 7 year old to these places. Sometimes I'll go for the "you never know what it might be" catch especially carp/tench of the bigger variety.
    The other interest is match competition aspect, not for me but massively popular.

Comment

I know it's really popular but surely in a pond you know what your going to catch.

Comment

I took Lynn to a stocked pond as she had never fished before and look at her now! A mad charter boat and shore Mackerel angler! They definitely have their place in the fishing world.
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

I might try 1 of these ponds it's the only way I might catch a fish lol
          KOMPRESSOR SPORT
          PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
          PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
          OKUMA TRIO 55
          YUKI RUBYMAR
          RON THOMPSON TYRON
          SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

?

Originally posted by Pighunter View Post
            I know it's really popular but surely in a pond you know what your going to catch.
            No two days catches are the same exactly the same as sea fishing.The only thing that is different is theres not much chance of the dredded blank when coarse fishing.At the end of the day they both get you out of the house where you can totally chill out.

Comment

When fishing stocked water you can actually target fish and get the thrill of seeing them take your fly especially when dry fly fishing. Catching is by no means guaranteed.

The bit I didn't like about sea fishing was the fact that you just chucked out and hoped that fish were there

Ali
              UKCC Level 2 Game Angling Coach

Comment

Not that I fly fish anymore now but I used to hate the stocky ponds. I used to work with a couple of blokes who classed themselves a good flyfishermen, went out with them a few times but always the same sort of venues, small stocked ponds. When I enventually got them to leave the ponds and head onto rivers or open scottish lochs they then very quickly realised that they had a lot to learn about water craft and the like. Everyone to there own though I suppose, having an enjoyable day out is what its all about.

Comment

I've not been doing it long and was guilty of thinking the same thing, what's the point in fishing a stocked stillwater. The fact is there's a lot to learn just like sea fishing. I thought it was just a case of turning up and filling your boots but that's definately not the case. I like fishing dry flies and flies that sit in the surface film. The amount fish that swirl at a fly and sink it is frustrating but exciting. There's a definate knack to fishing buzzers properly that I haven't quite mastered.

Think of it this way, you head up northumberland to fish for summer cod, you know the fish you are targeting, you kind of know there should be some lurking about. You fish with a mate who is having a good day and your pretty much emulating him and blanking, it's a similar thing really. As already said, catching on a stocked water, trout anyway, is not a dead cert mate.
                  Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Thanks for clearing some things up. I still can't grasp the thrill factor of will I or won't I catch. Only one way to find out and that's try I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Pighunter View Post
                      Thanks for clearing some things up. I still can't grasp the thrill factor of will I or won't I catch. Only one way to find out and that's try I guess.
                      I fish for most species, my favourite if pike from a lare natural remote loch in winter, I even fish Windermere for pike which is 12 mile long and up to 200' deap, you can't get more challenging than that.
                      I also very rarely sea fish, I'm not into killing or wasting fish which I see often. If your going to kill make sure you will eat. Which is hopefully what I'll do today, off Seham and catch my supper with any excess thrown back.

But I still like the ponds for a bit of fun. That's carp/coarse ponds that is.

Comment

Out of choice and the chance of a big fish for me like nowt better than catching big carp on light gear and playing it in. Im not one for searching for them in rivers like incase theres none there and blanking. Not saying u always catch at commercial ponds as you dont always catch. Like said 2days never the same fishing so always somthing differnt.

Comment

Last edited by Joe-m; 08-09-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X