First time @ Derwent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time @ Derwent

Heading across to Derwent in next week or so for me first session of the new season. I was wondering where the best area is to bait fish? What tactics to use etc? I have heard only small parts are open to bait anglers, is that right? Any advice would be appreciated. cheers

Originally posted by AndyJames83 View Post
    Heading across to Derwent in next week or so for me first session of the new season. I was wondering where the best area is to bait fish? What tactics to use etc? I have heard only small parts are open to bait anglers, is that right? Any advice would be appreciated. cheers
    Wotfettle Andy,

Virtually all the South bank is accessible to bait fishermen (that is, if you stand on the dam and face the watta, it's all you can see on the left side).Excluding the nature reserve of course.

I like to use a running ledger with a No 10 hook and a worm popped up off the bottom with a small cube of polystyrene and/or a decent dollop of Power Bait.

When it warms up a bit, float-fishing the upper layers can also be very productive.

Comment

Second fence on the south side m8,Really good area!!

As for bait would just try different colour power eggs and worm has never let me down!

Good luck

Comment

Never thought about polystyrene for putting the worm up-good idea.
        was thinking about a syringe and putting air in the worm.
        syringes only couple of quid on flea bay.
        Andy you can park your car at Pow Hill mate.thats in about the middle. A lot of lads i see use feeders as you are not allowed to ground bait.
        Mick.
        Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

cheers lads i'll let you know how i get on

Comment

Originally posted by mick dunn View Post
            Never thought about polystyrene for putting the worm up-good idea.
            was thinking about a syringe and putting air in the worm.
            syringes only couple of quid on flea bay.
            Andy you can park your car at Pow Hill mate.thats in about the middle. A lot of lads i see use feeders as you are not allowed to ground bait.
            Mick.
            Aye, and on the 'polystyrene cube' issue, I keep my styrene cubes in a 'urine sample' bottle, well soaked with WD40. The tube is watertight so the WD40 doesn't evaporate.

Mind you, if allowed by the fishery, always add another hook (Pennel Style) to pass through a corner of the styrene. It's surprising how many fish will actually take the WD40 impregnated styrene!

Check the rules of the fishery first as WD40 may be construed a 'Bait Additive'

Cheors,

Drof

Comment

P.S.

When in the tube, WD40 looks EXACTLY like urine.

An associate of mine, after observing me catch a 'Bow on a styrene cube, proceeded to p--s all over his polystyrene AND spent the rest of the season doing just that!

I know it was cruel to let him continue so I'll have to wise him up this season.

He's not ganna be owa pleased.

Comment

Don't bother fishing from Allensford down to the weir, that's where the pollution wiped out the population, they've restocked the river from below the weir as they're letting that part of the river recover before they put any more fish into it.

Comment

Originally posted by drof46 View Post
                  Aye, and on the 'polystyrene cube' issue, I keep my styrene cubes in a 'urine sample' bottle, well soaked with WD40. The tube is watertight so the WD40 doesn't evaporate.

Mind you, if allowed by the fishery, always add another hook (Pennel Style) to pass through a corner of the styrene. It's surprising how many fish will actually take the WD40 impregnated styrene!

Check the rules of the fishery first as WD40 may be construed a 'Bait Additive'

Cheors,

Drof
                  WD40 is made from fish oil
                  All generalisations are false, including this one

Comment

Originally posted by drof46 View Post
                    P.S.

When in the tube, WD40 looks EXACTLY like urine.

An associate of mine, after observing me catch a 'Bow on a styrene cube, proceeded to p--s all over his polystyrene AND spent the rest of the season doing just that!

I know it was cruel to let him continue so I'll have to wise him up this season.

He's not ganna be owa pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Castaway View Post
                      WD40 is made from fish oil
                      Naar, that's a myth.

It's a petro-chemical derivative.

Comment

Working...
                      X