Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyne and Coquet

Hello lads,

I've became a member of the NAF this year to have a go at trout, sea trout and salmon and was wondering where the good stretches of the river were to target brownies on the fly.

What flies are effective on this river?

Try this http://www.ne-fishing.co.uk curly, it might help. sorry mate just seen you on there
    Last edited by Topfly; 27-03-2009, 08:29 PM. Reason: too slow to catch cold

Comment

Unless things have changed drastically over the last couple of years you will need to fish the coquet just after it has been stocked to catch big trout , there are miles of river to go at on the Coquet , I liked the stretches up past Rothbury. The tyne at Ovingham just upstream of the bridge over to Prudhoe was my favourite stretch of fed water , there are plenty trout in there and always a good chance of a decent fish. I'd use spider patterns or black and peacock , something along those lines for the trout on both rivers.
      The Coquet is probably the esiest to fish for Salmon or sea trout , try the pool just upstream of the bridge at Felton , just as it gets dusk, or any of the pools further downstream can be good at the right time.

Ray

Comment

Cheers mate,

I'm going to give it a go this weekend I think, since my new licence will have kicked in by then. Is it worth taking the fly rod as well, what I've read seems to indicate spinners work best.

Thanks for the help

Mark

Comment

Spinners will always work better than flies for trout and salmon , but you better check they are legal to use , I'm not sure these days what the dates are for spinning , worm and fly. Best read up on it on your permit.

Ray

Comment

Working...
          X