1st timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st timer

well a went for my first ever go at fly fishing today with Shaun and Paul (capt cod), and before anybody says owt,i know its a sea angling forum but i just thought i would share this bit of info with yous.got to the pond for 9am,met the others at 9.30,( now i aint ever held a fly rod before never mind cast one).
    Shaun gives me a quick idea of how to cast,so i happily cast away til my hearts content,then the hunger pangs kick in around 12.30, so off to me van i goes, cap off,sunglasses off, 2 lovely bits of quiche and a coffee, back to the pond, and guess what, i Caught summit Hooray i hear yous all saying, sorry lads didnt catch a fish, forgot to put me sunglasses back on and i hooked mesel through the eyelid, and would`nt you know it, the fly shaun gave me to use still had the barb, so i gets shaun to crush the barb, still a bit left on, so out come the pliers,off to me van for the mirror and OUCH, out comes the hook, on with the glasses and back to casting the flies,Still never got nowt but i enjoyed it immensely. Shaun caught the first fish of the day with me new rod,1st cast, he also lost a couple, Paul got 2 that he took home.Cant wait for the next 1, beamish lakes i think.ANYWAY the mopral of this story is KEEP YA GLASSES ON at all times when fly fishing

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

ouch! cheers for the report, where did you fish?

cheers...............tom
    gettin a rod for wor lass, should be a good swap!

Comment

Jimmy, yes it is a sea angling forum however you have posted in the freshwater section which is correct.
      You forgot to mention your venue.
      regards
      Terry
      If people think you are an idiot, why speak and remove all doubt !

Comment

EYEAAAAAAA !!!!! bloody hell at least it was ya lid an not ya ball .. you might have had to buy a parrot for ya shoulder aaarrr jim lad

Comment

Originally posted by kela66 View Post
          EYEAAAAAAA !!!!! bloody hell at least it was ya lid an not ya ball .. you might have had to buy a parrot for ya shoulder aaarrr jim lad
          Wheyaye, aalways make sure ya baall's well protected

Comment

i learnt my lesson always wear glasses
            yours truly had to get mine out with a bit leader line
            montana nymph

sless

Comment

Hello Jimmy-mick here. Its my third season with the fly and honest it does get easier and better. When you get a 4lb er on and it leaps out of the water like a mini marlon you,ll know what i mean.
              The glasses are essential. I got a nice pair for a tenner from amh angling. Pull them down over my eyes when casting and push up when bringing the fly in. They are also good for the glare.
              Mind saying that i got a hook in my nose last Sunday-luckily it was jus scratched and my nose is big. Couple of photies on WSF forum.
              Mick.
              Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by YoursTruly View Post
                Jimmy, yes it is a sea angling forum however you have posted in the freshwater section which is correct.
                You forgot to mention your venue.
                regards
                Terry

Hi Terry,
                It was only a small pond for beginners i think, its called fox ponds.Sorry about the mistake of "i know this is a sea angling forum" i just copied and pasted what i put on my mates forum.
                I am going to sharpley water on friday with a friend who has been fly fishing for years now, he even spent 5 hours with me today learning me to cast correctly.
                FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

Comment

Originally posted by sless View Post
                  i learnt my lesson always wear glasses
                  yours truly had to get mine out with a bit leader line
                  montana nymph

Yes i seen the pic Graham, mine was a dragon buzzer lol

Comment

Originally posted by mick dunn View Post
                    Hello Jimmy-mick here. Its my third season with the fly and honest it does get easier and better. When you get a 4lb er on and it leaps out of the water like a mini marlon you,ll know what i mean.
                    The glasses are essential. I got a nice pair for a tenner from amh angling. Pull them down over my eyes when casting and push up when bringing the fly in. They are also good for the glare.
                    Mind saying that i got a hook in my nose last Sunday-luckily it was jus scratched and my nose is big. Couple of photies on WSF forum.
                    Mick.

Hi Mick mate, i got myself a decent pair today and didnt take them off once whilst learning to cast.Just need to learn to catch fish now lol

Comment

Working...
                    X