lures without gold heads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lures without gold heads.

Heres a quick one lads. I always use gold heads on my whiskers or fritzes. The main reason is to get them down in the water quickly.
    Now i have lures which have no gold heads - whats the crack with these. Are they for fishing sub surface or are the on short traces and pulled down by the line.

Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Gold heads are just to impart an action to the lure as its retrieved by that I mean when it sinks it is head down and pulled its head up I like to fish gold heads on a floating line as it holds the lure down abit or fished on a intermediate you can bounce them of the bottom etc.

The lures with no gold head are fished close to the top of the water on a floating line or fished at different depths on inter/sinking lines just you dont have the action and sink of the gold heads.

Alot of what its about is experimenting and tryin something new if you have two lures the same it gives you double options in the same way as searching the water different depths and covering the water fan stile hope this helps mate.
    Last edited by Iva-Cod-on; 24-04-2009, 03:42 PM.
    Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mick dunn View Post
      Heres a quick one lads. I always use gold heads on my whiskers or fritzes. The main reason is to get them down in the water quickly.
      Now i have lures which have no gold heads - whats the crack with these. Are they for fishing sub surface or are the on short traces and pulled down by the line.

Mick.
      Most of your lures with no goldheads will sink Mick , but much more slowly than a goldhead lure , when you first cast out a cats with no goldhead it will often sit on the surface like a dry fly , leave it there for a minute before pulling it back If you particularly want it to sink , hold it under the water and squeeze some water through it with your fingers , it will sink better each cast after that.
      On a floating line they can be deadly when there is a decent breeze , cast out across the wind , let the line bow out and then strip the lure back , it will come back just under the surface through the waves , the follows and takes can be very exciting.
      On a sinking line or intermediate line you can count down the depth you want to fish at and pull back the lure which will travel in a straight line at the same depth all the way.
      I know lads that fish them under an indicator as well , they catch a lot of fish that way , worth a try when you are struggling or tired and fancy a break from casting but not from fishing
      Like Ivan says , try anything and everything where rainbow trout are concerned , you will be amazed what catches fish

Ray

Comment

Cheers lads will be trying that. I have loads of lures which i have collected over my time fishing. Never used any without gold heads.
        Ray i,ve seen lads stripping the line-looks hard work,could never really understand the need for the speed retrieve.
        Some good advice there guys-cheers Mick.
        Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Working...
        X