lockwood beck 29/ 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lockwood beck 29/ 04

works outin to lockwood yesterday, one of the most eagerly awaited trips of the year, we always always have a good day down there (you see where this is goin don't ya) weather was great, partial cloud and a nice breeze (till we actually got on the wata and the 'nice breeze' became a flippin hoolie) 9 of us turned out, fishing from 5 boats. on the off, all boats shot off in different directions, each skipper thinkin he had the better of his rivals. me and gus started up the tree lined west bank with imitative patterns (we'd read the reports and this was the place) nee luck afta an hour lol so we tried the dam wall next to the lodge, figuring this was where the wind (hurricane) would blow the food. instant success unfortunately this was for gus 2 in quick succession to an orange blob (heathen) i perservered with the buzza's for about another half hour before chuking out the gaudy gear. had a good bit fun for next half hour with follow afta follow and pull afta pull before heading up the moorside bank and a bit respite from the wind. score 3 - 1 in gus' favour. 40 mins to an hour and nothing doin so we upped anchor and headed back to the dam wall. we started at the whitby end, and again results were instant, me taking a nice 4 lber.wind was real ferocious gettin and we were really strugglin to hold station, and that was with 2 anchors, each with 15' of heavy chain and a 30 yard rope had to keep rowing out 20/30 yards and 10/20 yards 'lodgewards' dropping anchor and trying again we had plenty of intrest with the odd fish coming to the net. anyway, by the time we got back along the dam to the lodge it was virtually time to pack up; had managed to catc and pass gus, finishing with 6 to his 4, rainbows bar 1 brownie apiece (beautiful fish)
    it proved to be a difficult day and we propa grafted for our fish, constantly moving, varying depths and flies etc etc but we were pleased with our day and rightly so. everyone struggled and only 3 of our lot managed more than 1 fish, 1 blanked (he'll make up for it next time) so we were top boat by miles and made a point of letting them all know well you've got to aint ya? lol. tough day was blamed on all the previous days rain (by that lot anyway, me and gus didn't know what all the bleatin was about)

next outin for tyne and wear fire and rescues finest will be the national champs on 19th may, stocks reservoir lancs this year, fishin from the bank as opposed to the usual boat comp. teams of 2, we're hoping to improve on last years 12th place (not bad out of 60 or so teams) watch this space..............................tight lines all
    stop what ya deein and.........

PB : cod 9lb 2oz Lynemouth Dec 10'

Well done Dicky. Its what fishing is all about the challenge. Me and my mate were talking about this up at the Derwent in the rain last Tuesday. If it was a case of going and filling you bag in half an hour each time weres the fun.
    Mick.
    Ps Dicky when you fish with buzzers whats the score. I had a couple on my line the other day with a wet fly on. I used an indicator. Had one pull down and when i struck must have lipped the fish because it got off. Are you supposed to strike ? or let it run. Do you bring the line in slowly in a figure of eight or leave it stagnent or let the breeze move it---i suppose its all of these.
    Never really fished with buzzers-can the fish see such small objects-i mean black fritzes are massive.
    Last edited by mick dunn; 30-04-2009, 08:48 PM. Reason: another question.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

to be honest mick i never see the real need to strike when fishing buzzers. a lot of the time the takes can be real savage, more so than when pulling lures (imo anyway) and its simply a case of lifting in to them. the other 'take' is where ya line just seems to drift off and tighten gently and again i find a gentle lift suffice's.
      i tend to fish me buzzas with a very slow fig 8 retrieve, or, like you mention, letting them drift about in the wind(though i tend not to fish the 'bung' but thats a whole 'nother debate). i'll give them an occasional 'lift' in the water before letting them sink again, though not on all casts. sayin this mick i will sometimes fish them with a mini cats or similar on point and pull them at a rate of knots and still take fish so....................... tha's nee rules tight lines m8
      stop what ya deein and.........

PB : cod 9lb 2oz Lynemouth Dec 10'

Comment

Great Report Dicky,

Sounds like a cracking (if challenging) session.

Must renew my acquaintance with 'Lockwood', it's been a year-or-two.

Cheors,

Drof

Comment

loved the report ,good to hear, that even in very windy conditions, you can still catch fish on the fly and enjoy the day ,once again well done !!!
          I'M NOT FAT ITS JUST THAT I HAVE A SLIPPED CHEST

Comment

Thanks for the info Dicky. Its a voyage of discovery this fishing lark and addictive.
            I,m aiming to get back up on Sunday for another days fishing. 10:30 onwards all being well.
            I,m going to try different methods again and labour with the buzzers. Goin to try the whole North shore if weather ok and travel light and move around. Thats my plan for now.
            Mick.
            ps the sonic is going back tomorrow. I am either going to get a sk3 9 1/2 wf7-8. Or a Greys 9 1/2ft wf7-8. I am leaning towards the greys.
            I got my lureflash back yesterday with a new tip. Looks good as new. will make a canny spare.

Comment

Great report mate, excellent days fishing even though it was under ardous weather, well done
              FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Got the Greys.

Comment

Working...
                X