Fly Rod Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Rod Quality

I've looked with interest at the various threads re. the 'Build Quality' (or lack of it) on various fly rods acquired by site members.

I certainly hope you all get the outfit that suits your particular needs (and pockets) BUT let's not forget that the 'Ideal' fly rod is a very subjective issue i.e what suits one angler in terms of cost and performance, will not be ideal for another.

I've fished the fly for around 40 years and during that time have been through the full range from 'Milbro' @ £16 (remember them) through to 'Hardy' and many, many in between.

For the past few years, I have opted for 'Orvis' and, although they may be 'Yanks', their build quality and performance are the best I've used AND I've also found by experience that their UNCONDITIONAL guarantee is excellent.

I'm currently using the 6 wt. 9ft. Trident T.L. and a four-piece 10ft TLS Power Matrix 7wt.

Both are a joy to use and very well finished.

Look out for 'Orvis' introducing 'new models' as they heavily discount the rods being replaced.

Tight lines,

Drof.

Drof i have missed using my lure flash vipor. Going to set this up with the Greys next time out and put my cheap line and reel on.I,ve caught more fish with this rod than any other dearer ones.
    Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Aye Mick,

Like I said, 'It's subjective', it's what you're comfortable with. Cost doesn't really come into it.

On the 'Orvis' question, they may seem expensive but get this:

A canny few years ago 'Orvis' were selling a 10ft, fast-taper fly rod for £360 which I fancied like hell. She who must be obeyed said it was ower much for a fly-rod.

A few months later when the model was about to be discontinued, 'Sportsmail' were selling it at £209 so I bought it.

After a couple of weeks of use somebody trod on the tip section and 'Orvis' replaced it by return of post. Two months later, the spigot was severely damaged so I Emailed 'Orvis' who said that the rod was beyond repair and it was now out of production (which I already knew), so they sent me a list of four rods (all over £300) from their latest catalogue, for me to choose one. The new rod arrived within two days: Excellent!

After a few months of use sumbugga reversed his car over the spigot section and again 'Orvis' gave me the choice of four rods (all £300+)as a 'free' replacement NEE QUESTIONS ASKED!

So, for an initial outlay of £209, I've had over £600 of rods from the company.

I've since acquired another 'Orvis' and, to tell you the truth, with their excellent guarantee system, I'll probably never have to buy another rod.

Cheors,

Drof

Comment

They must love you. Doesn't seem a very good business plan to me. Just goes to show how little these quality rods must cost to manufacture.
        Last edited by Alfie; 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie View Post
          They must love you. Doesn't seem a very good business plan to me. Just goes to show how little these quality rods must cost to manufacture.

Exactly, Alfie.

I'm not naive enough to believe that 'Orvis' are giving away a 'free' guarantee.

It's built-into the price of their rods.

BUT as long as it's available, I'm going to take advantage of it : I'd be a mug not to.

Cheors,

Drof

Comment

Greys (made in China) offer a replacement if the rod is broken when being used for fishing but you have to sent £20 with the broken section of the rod. You only have to post the ends to them so they know which section of the rod to send back.
            Mick.
            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

In Praise of 'Orvis'

All 'Orvis' rods are made in the U.S.A. and the quality is superb, in fact (and I'm inviting controversy here), in my opinion, way better than 'Hardy'.

They carry a genuine UNCONDITIONAL guarantee e.g. if you jam it in the car door or the dog eats it, they'll repair it 'as new' or replace it with no excess or surcharge.

BUT, like I said : 'there's nee such thing as a free guarantee'.
              It's a form of insurance and the 'Premium' is built-in to the initial cost of the rod.('Orvis' will deny this, of course)

One contributor to the forum said 'it is a poor business plan', on the contrary, it's very clever. 'Orvis' are a shrewd organisation with over 150 years of experience with 40 retail outlets or shops in the States and over 20 in the U.K and, even then, 70% of their custom is via mail-order or 'online'.

In short, they are one of the biggest international suppliers of shootin' and fishin' equipment and clothing in the World. You don't attain that status by having a 'Poor Business Plan'

Anyway, as I said and for what it's worth, their rods are the best I've used (and I've used a few in my time), but not cheap.

Mind you, there are still excellent rods on the market at a more competitive price.

Tight Lines,

Drof

Comment

That comment was tongue in cheek and as you say it is obviously a very succesful business plan.

Comment

An angler chooses the rod or some people may say the rod chooses the angler
                  keep kids off the streets, give them a rod.

Comment

Working...
                  X