Intermediate or Sinktip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermediate or Sinktip?

Just wondering what people think of intermediates and sinktips? Are there any benefits to using a sinktip over an intermediate? My mate swears by his sinktip for the derwent and he hammers the fish. Last time we fished there he bagged six and I bagged one with a 3/4 pound roach on a montana. He was using a sinktip.

The secret is to get the flies to where the trout are feeding. On that particular day they may have been deeper than your intermediate was getting down to. Best to have a choice of all 3 and chop and change until you get a take.

Comment

Well Ive taken the plunge and bought a slow sink tip.

Will test it out tomm at the Derwent since the weather looks like it will be good. Max 14 mph winds with an easterly. Hopefully it wont be too windy up there. Also how does the Derwent fish with an easterly? Any better/worse? Will probably be fishing either the north shore/Cronkley Bay or Bay of Plenty

Comment

Andy if you can get on the North Shore stay there mate down deep with a cats whisker -was good when i was there. Nowt in the bay.
        I parked by the farm and walked down through the field.
        Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

I only use 2 fly lines, intermediate and floating. it's down to experiance, what you like using and luck at the end of the day. My intermediate is used most of the time, and my last trips to fontburn and derwent I have caught my bag limit.

Comment

Wheyaye, there's nee real difference atween an 'Intermediate' and a 'Sinker', just 'time'.

Try 'counting the line down'. Depending on the make of line, distance of cast and the depth of water, 30 seconds should put it on the bottom.

However, the fish may be lying in the upper layers, so I always start with a 5 second delay and gradually increase it until you find where the little bugg--s are feeding.

Drof

Comment

Working...
            X