Fly Fishing in the rain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing in the rain.

Was all set up for a day out today but weather= rain all day. I don,t mind a passing shower or two but after my last couple of trips in constant rain decided against going.
    Main reasons are i,m sure the amount of extra water going into the reservoir makes the fish more lethargic and harder to catch.
    Also unlike sea fishing when i can stand all day in my floatation suit and be dry-the rain tends to get in everywhere-so i end up very wet.
    And there is also the chance of thunder and lightening and holding a fly rod in the water is not the way i would like to meet my maker.
    No i,ll leave it until the sun is shining again.
    Oh forgot to mention her indoors hates all the wet gear in the conservatory.

Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

your easly put of mick lollll
    Goal for 2012 a 30lber
    http://www.bullrushlake.com/

Comment

Wheyaye Mick,

As I've said afore, I've never had a 'good bag' in ****istant rain.

Ye did the right thing by leaving it 'till another day.

Cheors,

Drof.

P.S. they reckon the weather's ganna be ideal on the Derwent when ye are in Cyprus!
      Lol.

Comment

drove past the derwent twice today, on my out to newcastle and on my way back home, reckon you made the right call mick

if you think it was raining bad nearer town, was like a tropical monsoon out here

saw one solitary angler in the bay of plenty, he must have been desperate to get out of the house!
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

I,m no expert with this fly fishing but i,m convinced the heavy rain puts the fish off feeding. Maybe its the lack of insects on the water surface or difficulty in spotting them.
          A shower sometimes helps but heavy constant rain is a big no go for me.

Comment

Its meant to be drizzle in the morning with dry spells between 10am and 1pm then sunny spells at 4pm tomm. Anyone going up the derwent?

You think those conditions will put the fish off?

Comment

Originally posted by andydurham View Post
              Its meant to be drizzle in the morning with dry spells between 10am and 1pm then sunny spells at 4pm tomm. Anyone going up the derwent?

You think those conditions will put the fish off?
              Probably do the fishing the world of good, with the humidity bringing on the hatches, and the wind is easing off

Comment

Owld Saying

Me owld da used to say :

'When the wind's from the East , the fish bite least and when the wind's from the West, the fish bite best' and, generally, I've found it to be true.

BUT there's aalways exceptions. Aa bet someones got an owld saying that says the opposite.

Tight lines,

Drof

Comment

I,m going to try and remember that one drof.
                  Was at work all day today and cursing-it looked a smashing day to be on the fly. Couple heavy showers but some nice sun.

Comment

Working...
                  X