Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait fishing for Trout ???

Hi,

Need some help here.I've been quite keen on trout fishing on reservoirs for the last 10 years or so, but I have always fly fished. However my son in law is dead keen to go fishing with me on Friday, but has no experience of fly casting. So can anyone advise me of a good reservoir or lake where I can fly fish and he can fish with bait. (I know the Derwent has these options, but I would prefer a smaller venue) Also I am a bit clueless as to what sort of 'rig' to use for bait fishing.

I have used a sliding float for mackerel with a lot of success, but will this work for trout. Also what's the best bait to use (how do you fish with powerbait ?) Do any venues sell worms or powerbait on-site ? Any advice on venues and methods of bait fishing will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.........BAZACODBASHA

bait

some places dont let you use power bait,only worm or fly canny place up at consett called waskerley Reservoir info here

Waskerley Reservoir @ go-fish.co.uk

Comment

higham and caistron have bait lakes, worm only tho, use a running ledger rig....... on main line slide weight and bead, then tie swivel on and hooklength of about 2 foot, size 8 hook or whatever and hook the worm once coz it will wriggle underwater, DON'T thread the worm on like a ragworm, like i did. or/and
      make a blob of powerbait the size of a tab butt and work it on your hook, it floats, its good to make a couple and let them dry a bit!

i've had minimal luck at derwent and fontburn but you can use powerbait and they sell gear and bait on site.

good luck bud.............tom
      gettin a rod for wor lass, should be a good swap!

Comment

You could try Fontburn. My dad has a season ticket, and fishes there quite often.

In terms of fishing, you have 2 main options:

Float fishing

Bubble float half filled with water, with a split shot above, and a quick release swivel below. To the quick release, you can add approx 2 1/2 ft of nylon - about 6lb breaking strain and a size 10 hook. The split shot above the float can then be moved to allow the bait to fish from 2 1/2 ft to maybe 8ft depending on the length of rod/ability of caster. Bait can be worm, power bait or even sweetcorn and maggots I think.

Ledgering

Same set up as above, but replacing the float with a 1/2 - 1 oz bomb. It is worth using floating powerbait balls to get the bait up off the bottom and visible to the trout. I know my dad has some polystyrene balls that he threads up the hook with a split shot to stop them running up the line too far. He then baits with worm and this then floats up off the bottom with good success.

Hope this helps

Stu
        Last edited by Stuey; 27-05-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Fontburn lake mate
          keep kids off the streets, give them a rod.

Comment

Only really fish derwent,but we get our limit every week,we fish the powerbait on a rig with a 1oz weight,a 3 way swivel just above the weight and a 2ft trace coming off the swivel,the trick is to roll your power bait into marble size balls a couple of days before your trip and let it dry out this gives it more bouyancy and it will stay on your hook better,use a wider gape hook preferrably a small crab hook which will allow you to but bigger balls on without masking the point,if the weather is still and not a lot of action try moving the bait about with a slow retrieve,works a treat,hope this helps.

Comment

Bait Fishing for Trout

Sorry for the late reply but I've been abroad for a bit.

The best and most sporting set-up is to use a Coarse Match Rod capable of casting a half to one ounce weight or a light spinning rod of the same capacity.

You can either float-fish or ledger according to whether the fish are 'on the top' or 'lying deep'. It's always a good idea to ask other anglers around you or simply observe their rigs.

Funnily enough, large hooks are more sporting than small if you intend to 'catch-and-release' as it is more difficult for the fish to swallow a largish hook deeply.

As 'lasthope' said 'Waskerley' is a good venue to practice your 'bait-fishing' techniques as it is seldom crowded and the members up there are always free with advice for newcomers.

Mind you, catch and release is not allowed for day-ticket hoders and bait is restricted to earthworm and minnow.

Tight lines,

Drof.

Comment

Working...
              X