Upper Tees 29th May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Tees 29th May

Fished the Tees just down from High Force for the first time today. Quite tough finding places to get a fly out, fishing was left bank only I think and of course the left bank is hindered by cliffs, trees, spiky things and other assorted nightmares. The other bank, naturally has wonderful shallow gravel banks, acres of space for a backcast, settees, plasma screens and naked ladies selling ice creams. Wading was also a bit scary even with the aid of my big stick and fluffy soled boots. I did find a few pools and runs I could fish though. There was an upstream wind and my freshly learned circle spey cast was ideal for getting a line out with no room for backcasting. Red hot, bright sun and little sign of fish moving. Spoke to a lad just as I left who said there'd been a massive hatch of mayfly early in the morning and the fish may have gorged themselves silly. Got one out though and chuffed to bits - beautiful little wild fish about 10" which went back. Should have stayed for a possible evening rise but the lure of ale and Resident Evil 5 put payed to that.

Only negative was yet another "local" pub to be crossed off my list - The Teesdale Hotel in Middleton, stood in a nigh on empty bar, big friendly smile on my face,waiting my turn, only to be ignored while the baldy **** behind the bar served a couple of his mates who ambled up behind me.

"And what would you like sir?"

"**** all m8 changed my mind"

****ers
    "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
    Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Nice report and great to see you caught a wild little fighter .

I hate boozers that don't look after everyone ,for all they know you may have been the next landlord .

Anyway ,I've had a bad lateshift so count ya blessings Charles
    Last edited by SIXFOOTSTEVE; 30-05-2009, 08:31 AM.
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

They would have been Stonefly not Mayfly that hatched.
      Next time your there try a leaded long shank pheasant tail size 8 or 10.Fish it upstream in the deep pools.The takes can be hard to hit though.
      If the Stone fly are hatching use a size 8 March brown wet fly fished downstream,its about the best imitation there is.
      There are some good pools above the falls and not so many trees.
      How much are the tickets for there now,I paid £8 the last time i fished it about twelve year ago....

Comment

Thanks for the info - day tickets are £12, never even thought to fish above the falls
        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

£12 what a bargain! wild browns i take it?

nice report and well done for getting one!
          gettin a rod for wor lass, should be a good swap!

Comment

nice report mate and well done on catching.
            FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Working...
            X