• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life time warranty's

what does a life time warranty cover
    anyone know what company's charge for replacing damaged rod parts

sless

I can only speak for 'Orvis', as they're the only company I've had direct dealings with. BUT their lifetime guarantee is exactly that.

Any damaged rod will be replaced or repaired as new with no 'Excess' or surcharge, no matter how the damage was inflicted.

I've invoked their guarantee twice with no problems whatsoever.

Cheors,

Drof

Comment

so they didnt charge anything to replace it

i have a hardy gem smuggler and the tip section snapped
      ive only used it about 12 times
      and they have charged me £50
      to replace the tip
      i personaly think it is a rip off
      and wont be spending another penny with hardy's
      so realy a warranty doesnt stand for anything
      because you have to pay anyway
      i feel very agrieved by hardy's
      as ive spent thousands of pounds with them
      so they have lost a good customer

sless

Comment

I have a greys rod and the mice got in my shed and chewed a small piece of cork and they want to charge me £50+ £11.95 handling fees as well, So much for the lifetime guarantee. I was a big fan of greys/Hardy but not anymore.

Comment

interesting thought just occurred to me. With all the newer stuff they are churning out, the small print is there about the handling fee and that, bit crap but there you go.

wonder where you'd stand legally, if you have a Hardy rod bought say, 20 years ago, with a lifetime guarantee, when they were a respectable company and would indeed swap stuff out/repair or whatever, with no charges involved, and need to get it repaired, would they try stiff you or just do the decent thing

suspect they'd try stiff you for a few quid, but might be an interesting one to challenge them with. I've got a Hardy favourite, late 80's proper alnwick rod, paperwork is pretty clear on what the guarantee states.

mind you, its probably never likely to break as they were built proper back then

as for Greys stuff, still got a couple of rods but won't ever buy from them again, last thing I had was a prodigy carp rod, snapped in the same place 4 times, didn't even get it replaced the last time, bough a cheapo carp rod for a tenner off ebay and its been bomb proof!
          ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

There was someone else on this site took a rod up to them that was damaged and they told them they no longer made it so they would get the new model but guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            They would need to pay £50+£11.95 handling charge and they even took their rod to there own place in Alnwick

Comment

think you'll find that at £50 they are still making a profit on the chinese wholesale price they are paying for their rods as well

still think it might be worth checking out the statutory consumer rights on guarantees and things, if the printed guarantee doesn't specify a charge, is it legal??
              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

ive got a carbotec rod and she who will be obeyed snapped the tip section while getting the hoover out of cupboard phoned them up and explained they replaced the rod totaly free of charge within a couple of days
                john.

best fish 16lb cod tynemouth beach feb 2007

Comment

As I've said many times, 'Hardy' is and always has been, over-rated.

It's a bit like 'Barbour'. As soon as a company gets that 'By Royal Appointment' tag, their prices go through the roof (even if their product is made in Taiwan, Korea or wherever)

All 'Orvis' rods are made in the U.S.A. and their quality is superb, as is their guarantee system.

Tight lines,

Drof

Comment

there were a few people in the shop when i was in,i was talking quite loud
                    and said this is a terrible service
                    i said i would pay for the repair and then sell it on ebay and in future use sonic rods
                    the blokes face was a picture
                    but as i said
                    i wont ever buy anything hardy
                    ever again
                    and if anyone is planning on buying it
                    just remember
                    how much you have to pay
                    bearing in mind the tip section of a gem smuggler is only about 12" long
                    the robbers
                    rant over

sless

Comment

Cant speak from a fly rod point of view but i have a few Greys sea rods, broke the tip of my Nitra, Frazers said £30 handling cost, Drove up to Alnwick got it changed free of charge, so i cannot complain about hardy/Greys
                      FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

I snapped the tip of my lureflash vipor fly rod. When i rang the company they said post the rod with a £15 cheque and they would replace it. Did not even know there was any guarantee. Got the rod back after a week and good as knew.
                        As to the Greys rod all you need do is return the end sections of the broken piece and they will replace. I believe it costs something like 20 quid plus postage.
                        Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by mick dunn View Post
                          I snapped the tip of my lureflash vipor fly rod. When i rang the company they said post the rod with a £15 cheque and they would replace it. Did not even know there was any guarantee. Got the rod back after a week and good as knew.
                          As to the Greys rod all you need do is return the end sections of the broken piece and they will replace. I believe it costs something like 20 quid plus postage.
                          The price for a greys gaurantee is now £35 per section
                          Hardys on the other hand is £50
                          Even at these prices they are making a massive profit on the price the whole rod actually costs them to make!!And believe me as i used to work for them

Comment

My rod is a greys pilgrim and they have quoted me last week £50+£11.95 handaling fee for to replace 1 section.

Comment

Originally posted by bobo View Post
                              My rod is a greys pilgrim and they have quoted me last week £50+£11.95 handaling fee for to replace 1 section.
                              exactly
                              there robbers
                              the amount of hardy gear ive got
                              it makes my blood boil

sless

Comment

Working...
                              X