Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watendlath Tarn Near Keswick

Hiya

Im fishing Watendlath Tarn next week and I was wondering if anyone had fished it before?

Ive heard it has good fish in it and the water is said to be really clear.

Cheers

Andy

Fished there many years ago now but it is a lovely spot on a nice day, a bit grim when the weathers not so kind.
    The water was gin clear when we fished it. Small black flies such as black pennel work there. There were boats available and we bank fished in the morning and boat fished the afternoon. The top of the tarn isn't really accessible to the bank angler as its a bit marshy but there are a couple of nice areas to fish. If there's a wind and you are boat fishing try and get a drogue to slow you down.
    Like I say if the weathers kind, you'll have a good day no matter if you catch or not. Don't miss Ashness Bridge and Surprise View on the way up to the tarn when you turn off the Borrowdale road from Keswick. Its all part of the day out.
    All generalisations are false, including this one

Comment

yes it's a loverly pond and like castaway say's black pennel work's really well.
      The fish in there are not that big but they fight like hell hope you have a great day.
      casper.

Comment

sorry i cant help mate, never even heard of the place, but me old mucca castaway has, take his advice
        FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Well I fished Watendlath today and it didnt dissapoint. Got a load of knocks then struck into a lovely fish of 4 pound, which Im happy to say is in the oven right now for tea. They fight so hard as well! Only fished a half day and just as I was leaving the rain came down really hard so I packed up at just the right time.

Again little black flies were the key, cheers for the info I got this one on a black and red buzzer fished at about 4 feet and left to drift in the wind. To top a great day off I christened my new rod and reel too

Comment

Congrats Andy. Cracking place isn't it. Nice fish to round the day off. Well done.
            All generalisations are false, including this one

Comment

I often visit Watendlath even though I don't fish on the fly, my mate does and it's a cracking place to just relax and watch him fish. I'll take it up eventually...

Paul

Comment

alrite mate i go there every year stayed in farmhouse cottege for a week a few years back and fell in love with place wife likes it too so half the battle good fishing had brownie to 5.5 LB lovely place isint it

Comment

Last edited by Charlie_Thompson; 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: I sounded like a snob
                  "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                  Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Visited yesterday, lovely day, some nice fish being caught...

Comment

Working...
                    X