River Pike .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Pike .

I've recently been bitten by the Piking bug and after catching a good few last winter in the Scottish lochs I was wondering about catching a Pike in a river . I've seen it on TV ,mostly around wiers ,does anyone have any tips or good rivers to try .
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Hi Steve I was right into fly fishing and being close to Durham enjoyed going down the free stretch (starts just below the weirs next to what used to be the ice rink and ends further down river at the entrance to the farm) anyway one day caught onto and reeled in a wire trace with trebles on and got talking to a local about it and he claimed that the area had resident pike it might be worth investigating.

Word of warning though the traffic wardens try there hardest to make it not free fishing so if you go read the signs very carefully.

Hope this helps a little Lorry

Comment

Thanks for the info. mate.

Comment

While I'm sure there are pike in the Wear, from what I hear, the Tees may be a bit more reliable.

Comment

ste
          try yarm on the tees both with deadbaits and plugging there are doubles caught at the free stretch there behind the church on a weekly basis - biggest i have heard of is 30lb (confirmed catch not just hearsay).

this gives you details of the yarm free stretch - Free River Fishing|UK|North East Region|Dales Area|Predominantly North Yorkshire|www.dofreefishing.com
          you can also catch at preston park on the outskirts of stockton for a couple of quid a day ( if the person comes round), there is also a large lake down here just off the A1 called allerton water park that holds 30's.

give us a shout if you come down and i can show you where etc.
          give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

River Pike

Steve
            We used to get a few on the free stretch of the Wear at Chester le Street, long time ago though mate, nothing too big either, however I was just a young'un. More info on the free fishing link that jason posted. Worth a look still I reckon. Had the dogs down there a few weeks ago and noticed a lot of small stuff (dace I think) scattering about near and on the surface like they were escaping, but didn't have me polaroids to see what was what, good luck anyways

Comment

Thanks lads ,great stuff .

Jason I'll take you up on that over the winter mate ta .

Comment

Working...
              X