Yarm free stretch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yarm free stretch.

Trying to find a venue to fish during this mini ice age! My normal waters are under a layer of ice.
    Could any of you tell me if Yarm free stretch is fishable? Does it ever freeze over?

it will be fishable - hardly ices over these days as the flow is controlled by the barrage. Some big pike down there.
    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that Jason.
      I hear the parking can be difficult. Wheres the best place to leave the car.
      And whats the boundaries for the free stretch mate?

Comment

park anywhere apart from the high street as it is disc controlled and only for 2 hours. Park on the bit infront of the blue bell pub the limits of the free stretch are the high street side of the river (yorkshire bank) down stream of road bridge to the fence and path that goes back to the high street (you cant go any further from here) and up stream from the bridge until the path that goes back to the high street (as the tarmac river side path runs out).

deep waters are behind the church on the straight stretch down stream of the little beck that runs in on the other side of the river and against the far bank either side of the railway bridge. Travel pretty light and you can cover the whole of the free stretch (about a mile).
        give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Cheers Jason.
          Will be giving it a go on Tuesday. I'll let you know how we get on mate.

Comment

no probs mate - there was lots of colour prior to the snow but may have cleared a bit now - once the snow starts to melt it will colour again.

Comment

We fished the Tees today but not the free stretch at Yarm.
              We decided to fish Preston Hall stretch. Wasnt a bad spot, deep water and looked good.
              Then the sledgers turned up!! To be honest they were quite entertaining. Kept expecting one of them to end up in the river! They were having a great time.
              The fishing was slow just as we expected. Had a couple of touches but no proper runs.
              We'll be back though and we'll be having a look at the Yarm stretch next time.
              Thanks for the help Jason.

Comment

Yes we will return one day but maybe not to the sledging mad bit .

It's only fun until someone breaks a leg .

Cheers for the lift Steve and for the info Jason.
                You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

congrats jason, I`m well impressed with you in depth knowledge of the area, do you actually know which spots certain fish will be sitting in and possible whats their pet names and favourite foods ... seriously jason well done, great info for those who can use it

norm

ps do they respond to the "distractor"
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                  ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

i will not respond to the last comment its a distraction.

thanks for your words norman - all the best mate.

ste
                    next time your down give me a shout and ill come down and see ya - if you go to the park again go to the woods at the right as you look at the river this is called quarry wood when in there find the metal black picnic bench and then drop down the bank there to river you will be on the outside of the bend and v deep water normally has shoaled fish there in the winter and it attracts the pike.

all the best
                    Last edited by jason; 23-12-2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks again Jason.
                      Might give it a go sometime next week.
                      I'll let you know if we're coming down.
                      All the best..

Comment

might not be too good at the moment as your rods would freeze the river has a thin coat of ice across it.

Comment

Could see that starting to build up yesterday.
                          Will keep an eye on the weather mate.

Comment

Jason ,if we see you down there will you leave the distractor in the car mate.
                            You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Working...
                            X