Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is fly fishing real fishing?

Is fly fishing real fishing?

Like many sea anglers I thought fly fishing would be easy and never wanted to partake in a stocked fish sport.

A few of my friends do a lot of fly fishing and kept asking me to join them. One day I thought ok after refusing to go on numerous occasions. There is a lot to learn in fly fishing how to cast being the hardest, totally different from sea casting. But catch a 2lb plus hard fighting rainbow on a light fly rod is some thing else. Imagine the fight a 2lb Mackerel would give on very light spinning tackle, and your now were close.

Ok the fish are stocked but once they are in the lake for a couple of days they soon switch on to natural food. You need the right fly, the right size, the right colour fished in the right way. I only started catching after many lessons from a top fly angler who is also a very good sea angler. Who recently came 4th in the Seaton Sluice open and 2nd in the team event.

Fly fishing is real fishing just a different branch of our sport, which like sea angling takes skill, knowledge and a lot of luck.

[Edited on 18/1/2005 by mark]
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

\"Is fly fishing real fishing?\".........Are the fish real fish?......

Never tried it myself, but always fancied it........not so much lakes or reservoirs, but fast flowing rivers & streams.
      Seems to be an awful lot more to it than sea fishing (?)

Comment

Going to give it a good go this year TC. Been promising myself to give it a go for a few years now. Got most of the gear ready and waiting.

cheers.
        george.

Comment

dont forget you need a licence

sless

Comment

change your mind Mark lol
            Cheers Alan...

Comment

he didnt have a licence to post his coment

lol

sless

Comment

Hahahahaha sless.

Jim.
                Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

I started fishing when a friend took me out fly fishing. Soon got fed up with stocked rainbows which prompted me to try sea angling. Still fly fish though but try to fish places with heads of wild brownies or fish the rivers for salmon and sea trout. Am intending to try some sal****er fly fishing this year. A mackerel on a light fly rod must be something else. Don\'t know if there\'s anywhere up here that it\'s worth trying it out. Any ideas?

Comment

change your mind Mark lol
                    not yet......

Thought for the day:
                    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

I started fishing when a friend took me out fly fishing. Soon got fed up with stocked rainbows which prompted me to try sea angling. Still fly fish though but try to fish places with heads of wild brownies or fish the rivers for salmon and sea trout. Am intending to try some sal****er fly fishing this year. A mackerel on a light fly rod must be something else. Don\'t know if there\'s anywhere up here that it\'s worth trying it out. Any ideas?
                      cow green resrevoir in teesdale is th eplace for wild browniies.. not many big ones but an 8oz wild brownie up there will give you as much sport as a 5lb stockie

up dunstanburgh way is a good spot for fly fishing from the rocks for pollack and mackeral in the summer, and you can usually find a spot a way from the funny looks you get elsewhere

Thought for the day:

Comment

ive got myself a lovely snowbee sal****er fly rod and reel
                        i will be trying for mackerel and pollack in the summer

sless

Comment

change over to fly fishing in the summer from the sea, and it definitly is real fishing like some one said once fish in for any spell of time soon switch on to the natural food chain.can cast at them all day and get nowt if you do not have the right fly on the end(match the hatch) i go to ireland at least once a year and the fishing is terrific on the wild waters also go over to the west coat and fish the newton stewart angling club waters great fishing.
                          fishman.
                          john.

best fish 16lb cod tynemouth beach feb 2007

Comment

Haven\'t been to Cow Green yet but planning to go this season. Went to Waskerley quite often in the early part of last season. Was great til they let all the water out of it!

When do people start trying fly fishing in the sea? Do you wait until well into the summer or is it worth trying earlier?

Comment

don\'t suppose it would be worthwhile up here till early summer, most of the likely species will be way out at sea still. was on the west coast of scotland last easter and caught not a thing all week

the down side at cow green is that its a bit(!) of a hike to the best bits, but worthwhile!

Thought for the day:

Comment

Working...
                              X