No announcement yet.

Does the tyne have perch or pike in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the tyne have perch or pike in it?

jus wondered as perch seem to get caught around Chester or, wondered if there's perch in the tyne

Originally posted by Surfpunklee View Post
    jus wondered as perch seem to get caught around Chester or, wondered if there's perch in the tyne
    yes mate, perch and pike in the tyne as well as dace, roach, chub and others

Comment

Thanx mate do ta know where pm if ya like, obvs catch and return lol

Comment

Thanx mate do ta know where pm if ya like, obvs catch and return lol
        only used to fish it many years ago as a youngin lol, wylam wear pool was a canny shot for dace and roach. used to fish a lot at hexham tyne green stretch and had some cracking dace and eels, easy access and fishing there, ledgered baits worked best like

Comment

Thanx mate!! I've looked for info and occasional pike but doesn't seem to be any perch info from the Tyne?

Comment

Thanx mate!! I've looked for info and occasional pike but doesn't seem to be any perch info from the Tyne?
            I know there's perch at tyne green because me mate got a one once lol

Comment

Plenty of Pike and a few (big) Perch in the Tyne.
              Pike-Years ago when the Tyne had a good run of Salmon, we used to fish the South Tyne, and the tributaries were packed with big Pike feeding off the Kelts, I (honestly) nailed a 17ib in a tiny stream just south of Alston. We used to walk the streams looking for pools where the Salmon would spawn and the Pike, Eels and Otters would wait. But for the Big Buggers prob best bet is the big pools south of Hexham using a deadbait, Tyne Salmon ain't going chase a lure. Though a did see a few 20lbs caught lower down Prudhoe way on flies in the 80's (all killed unfortunetly).
              Perch-There are some BIG Perch in the Tyne, I caught a 2lb one at Tyne Green, Hexham, live Minnow all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny h View Post
                Plenty of Pike and a few (big) Perch in the Tyne.
                Pike-Years ago when the Tyne had a good run of Salmon, we used to fish the South Tyne, and the tributaries were packed with big Pike feeding off the Kelts, I (honestly) nailed a 17ib in a tiny stream just south of Alston. We used to walk the streams looking for pools where the Salmon would spawn and the Pike, Eels and Otters would wait. But for the Big Buggers prob best bet is the big pools south of Hexham using a deadbait, Tyne Salmon ain't going chase a lure. Though a did see a few 20lbs caught lower down Prudhoe way on flies in the 80's (all killed unfortunetly).
                Perch-There are some BIG Perch in the Tyne, I caught a 2lb one at Tyne Green, Hexham, live Minnow all the way.
                biggest eel ive ever caught in my life was at tyne green, bit like a small conger lol. some good size brownies were in there too, we used to bait up with a giant lobworm on a 2oz bomb and whack it into the middle, very crude but effective. like I said earlier though, only youngins

Comment

All info appreciated, funny how there don't seem to be any info at all about pike and perch in the tyne but I spose its seen as a small sea fish and salmon rivermainly

Comment

Surfpunklee,
                    you have to remember that its only a few years ago that the Tyne was a purely game fish river. Even on Federation waters all coarse fish caught had to be killed, and catching and releasing a Pike is tandamont to child abuse amongst most salmon fisherman.
                    Tyne Green was good because its council owned (so you weren't prosecuted for releasing a Dace)!, there are plenty of big Pike and Perch in the Tyne, as with most things 'you just need to know where to look'!

And as for Eels, as G.ordon says there's a few at Tyne Green also. I used to catch the 'big uns' where the drain from the golf course fed into the Tyne. Used to use cat food, Rabbit heads and guts, and blood (from the local abbatoir) as a groundbait, never failed, Now well not so many.

Comment

Working...
                    X