Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info please

Alright chaps??
    I\'m getting a bit sick of sea fishing so I\'m thinking about taking up fly fishing
    Any suggestions on rods and reels for a complete beginner? I have only tried the fly once which was at Fontburn last summer, and that resulted in my mates gear getting stuck in a tree!! :P
    I don\'t want to spend big bucks just yet so what sort of names should I look out for?

Cheers
    Mark

greys grx kit
    £150
    you get a rod and reel with 3 spools with 3 lines on them

sless

Comment

Whatever you buy, even if it\'s a top rated outfit, is unlikely to be what suits you later when you\'ve got a bit of experience, so keep the price down.
      There\'s plenty of gear around at a reasonable price, and you\'d probably be best to buy a complete outfit as a starter. They\'re cheaper than buying everything separately, unless you can get a local dealer to give you special terms.
      For stillwater fishing a 9\' or 9\'6 rod casting a 6 or 7 weight line would be a good starting point, with a floating line as first choice, and an intermediate as well if possible.
      That\'s for bank fishing. You\'d probably need a selection of sinking lines if you intend to concentrate on boat fishing, but even so you\'d be better off starting with the floater and learning to cast a bit before moving onto boat fishing. The outfit you started with will still be useful from a boat anyway,
      Most outfits come with everything including fly lines and leader material included, but if not, get the cheapest fly lines you can find to start with. You\'re almost guaranteed to wreck them in your first season, and its poinless spending a fortune on them.
      Have a look at the Glasgow Angling Centre website for an idea of what\'s available. The Ron Thompson Arezzo outfit looks very good value for money, but I\'d always recommend going to your local tackle dealer as a starter. They can often match the price, and as well as that can give useful advice.

Cheers
      Ian D
      Cheers
      Ian D

Comment

I bought a Shakespeare starter kit which consists of rod, reel, backing line, intermediate fly line and some leader.
        On my first fly fishing session had two rainbows while other lads using top of the range Hardys and Greys gear had nowt. Second time at Hazon Burn went on the specimen pond and had one about 14lb and the last time I went had one of about two pound and also lost a few others. It\'s got me started and is fine I think just to get you up and running.(the flies I\'ve managed to blag off other people and one of the owners at Hazon Burn gave me a few the first time I went up there.
        "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

If you are anywhere near crook, reid fishing tackle will put an outfit together for you at a very good price, and if you ask allen he\'ll even give you some casting lessons to boot - best caster I\'ve ever seen. watched him put a full fly line out and about 10 yards of backing from a 20 quid rod a while back. they do the ron thomson outfit mentioned above for 50 or 60 quid

I wouldn\'t look to spend too much first off, get a basic reel, as its only there really to hold line, somethin 9 to 9 foot 6 and 6 or 7 weight as suggested. Your\'re guaranteed to destroy fly line fairly rapidly at first, especially if you plan to do a bit of casting practice on dry land at first.

personally I reckon you should be able to get something reasonable for 50 or 60 quid to get you started, but if you want to go a bit more, a greys grx rod n reel, line, leaders and a handful of flies should leave you decent change from 150 quid. A lot of dealers are trying to offload greys rods at the minute as there are new ones due out shortly.

I picked up a Fladen vantage (stop sniggering at the back) travel fly rod a while back for 25 quid and it is really well made and has a good action, rim fly and dragon fly reels are pretty good to start out with for 15 to 20 quid as well.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

all greyflex rods are half price
            at id tackle

sless

Comment

How much are they now then Sless?
              I was looking at the Ron Thompson Superior Pro outfit for £60 from Glasgow Angling! That should be ok to start with shouldn\'t it??
              I live in Gateshead so I think I\'ll see what Frasers have to offer
              Where is the best places to fish for beginners? Somewhere not too crowded would be best whilst I\'m still in my infancy on the fly

Mark

Comment

Rod I went to me local footie field and practised getting me casting right before I went to a pond. I can reccommend Hazon Burn up at Shilbottle to get started. It\'s not a vast area so you don\'t have to able to cast like a pro to be in with a chance of catching fish. It\'s usually fairly quiet but it may be worth phoning in advance to check how busy they are. I\'ll see if I can find their No for you.
                "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

try sharpley
                  its quite good
                  im only a novice myself

i think the grey flex rods ar £65

sless

Comment

I went up to cow green quite a bit, almost guaranteed to be no-one there to snigger at my casting, and teeming with wild brownies. granted not many big uns, but loads of em in the half pound to pound range. Only a fiver, and thats if you can be bothered to put it in the honesty box!

Thought for the day:
                    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

what flies do you use up there
                      thanks

sless

Comment

Hi Sless
                        Teams of black wets, like black peacook spiders and zulu\'s, small dry that match anything that is hatchig. Try klinkhamers in verying colours untill you nab one the stik to it!!!
                        You will love it! travel light and fish light!!
                        Tim..

Comment

thanks for that tim
                          i will be giving it a go

sless

Comment

anything that is black seems to work a treat. black hoppers can be deadly in late afternoon from late april onwards

bit of a hike but the bays on the south side where the tees runs into the reservoir I find are the best spot, but there are one or 2 sheltered bays you can fish on your way around.

Bit naughty, but if you want bigger fish guaranteed, get a hold of a some minnows, strung up with 2 small trebles and fish them deep with the fly rod in the bit bit where the river runs in. They go mad for them.

One thing I found about cow green when starting out is there is no subtlety about takes, its a real hit and run affair

small mepps and dexter wedges on a light spinning rod never fail either at the top end, not sure if thats allowed however, (never stopped me though)

Thought for the day:

Comment

well im going to be naughty then
                              hahaha
                              thanks for the info

sless

Comment

Working...
                              X