Killingworth laje

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killingworth laje

Hi everyone thinking about taking up course fishing, I live in north shields and was just foundering if the was any good lakes close by for caching carp,Rud,etc. I have been looking about on the net and the closest lake I could find was Killingworth lake just wounded if it's any good cheers Dave :-)

Originally posted by dave1985 View Post
    Hi everyone thinking about taking up course fishing, I live in north shields and was just foundering if the was any good lakes close by for caching carp,Rud,etc. I have been looking about on the net and the closest lake I could find was Killingworth lake just wounded if it's any good cheers Dave :-)
    Used to be mate, but last time i fished it was around 35 years ago
    Species in there were crucian, dace, perch, rudd, roach, gudgeon, pike. Never seen any bream but that don't mean they weren't there. At the time the small lake was the place everyone fished but when I've passed recently the only place I've seen ppl fishin is the big lake. Heard it's crawling with rats now like

Comment

Thanks mate do you know we're the nearest lake to me is that is any good :-)

Comment

Thanks mate do you know we're the nearest lake to me is that is any good :-)
        Marden quarry mate i would say but again it was a long time ago when I fished it. You could get a day ticket at temples for a quid at the time Hopefully some active coarse anglers will chip in and give you proper up to date advice mate. Goodluck

Comment

Marden quarry is the closest lake to you but you have to be a member of BWAC it's mainly a carp water with carp to nearly 30 Lb but its still got other species in, but not really a water ideal for learning.

Burradon pond is fairly local and ideal for starting out as its got a load of silver fish in and some nice tench and carp in and not really a hard water to fish and also it's free to fish you just need a rod license.

Comment

Thank for your help mate :-). Any other advice from anyone else would be appreciated:-)

Comment

The trouble with northumberland is there arnt that many free or dayticket ponds/ lakes to fish. The best option is to join a club, there are a few to choose from. WACAC, Bigwaters AC, Blyth AC, Leazes and district AC. Just google them to find out more. If your not into joining a club ill list a few of the free/ dayticket places. Not sure where u get the tickets but...........

Killingworth lakes have a very nice head of carp in up to 24lb, last i heard. It also contains pike to 20lb, roach, perch, tench and bream. Trouble is, it can be a hard lake to fish. Maggots are virtually useless because of the amount of sticklebacks present. Corn and pellet do well on there day. The small lake used to hold some good fish but was very weedy.

Bolam lake is a dayticket lake, these are purchased from the postoffice at belsay garage. It holds a good amount of pike to 10lb, lots of perch and rudd. Ledgered worm will get the perch, smelt or red sprat deadbait for the pike.

Felton fence is a good choice if your starting out, tickets are purchased from the bankside. There is 4 ponds to choose from, with mallard being my favourite. Loads of coarse species plus the chance of a nice carp.

QE2 in ashington is also fishable on a dayticket, you get these from the bar at the hotel at the top of the lake. A S/W wind is best when fishing here. Its a hard lake to fish but on its day the bream/roach fishing can be excellent. There are also pike to 20lb and carp to 25lb in the lake.

Ive never fished the free pond at burradon so cant tell u much about that one.

Hope this helps.. roppa

Comment

Another cracking lake when I was into coarse angling very seriously was stargate up at ryton. Starting to get further a field though mate

Comment

thanks lads for the info will have to have a look into it :-), as you can guess i havent really done much course fishing , i bought a rod not log ago just woundering if it would be any good for course fishing as it was bought just for my lass to use in the tyne. it a grays fx4 12' think its a carp rod ?

Comment

thanks lads for the info will have to have a look into it :-), as you can guess i havent really done much course fishing , i bought a rod not log ago just woundering if it would be any good for course fishing as it was bought just for my lass to use in the tyne. it a grays fx4 12' think its a carp rod ?
                    Rod aint that critical when getting into this type of fishing mate, IMO. It's all about presenting baits. You need to study up on different types of end tackle and baits and when to use them.

Comment

will do thanks mate

Comment

Hello mate killingworth lake is a belter for course fish but the enviroment agency have closed it for the rest of the year due to blue green algie

Comment

Try Leazes Park, you could join the club (LPAA) or purchase a day ticket and providing you have a rod licence. But DONT go just yet the carp are spawing and best left alone.
                          Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
                            Another cracking lake when I was into coarse angling very seriously was stargate up at ryton. Starting to get further a field though mate
                            Stargate is full of weed mate although i know 2 lads who fish there often and one of them had a 25lb carp and the other a 12lb pike

Comment

Originally posted by david.northeast View Post
                              Stargate is full of weed mate although i know 2 lads who fish there often and one of them had a 25lb carp and the other a 12lb pike
                              Shame that as it was a cracking mark. Is it still a free fishery mate?

Comment

Working...
                              X