Ladies Charity Salmon Day at Bywell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies Charity Salmon Day at Bywell

I was lucky enough to be asked to take part in a ladies day to raise money for breast cancer charity Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland. Ten of us enjoyed a days fishing on Bywell beat on the River Tyne on Friday. It did not stop raining all day but that didn't stop us from having a fantastic time.

AAPGAI Master in the double handed rod Paul Little provided me with tuition on how to double spey cast which was a bit daunting when I watched him demonstrate the cast

Seems knowing how to use a beachcaster was going to come in useful as I soon got the hang of it but I have to say that I ached all over the next day as it is hard work!

After lunch I headed off with Head Ghillie, Gary Hillary who led me across the river and gave me instructions on what line to follow down through the pools. With heavy rain all day the water was a deep shade of brown so I was soon up to waist and working slowly down the river. The fly was landing over to my right on the far side of the moving water and swinging down in front of me. So far so good as Gary was busy with one of the ladies who was fishing from a boat. My line was just slowing down in front of me when it suddenly straightened The fish dived for the bottom and I knew it wasn't one of the trout that I had watched jumping around. It held fast and I couldn't move it so I began to wonder if I had just snagged the bottom and it wasnt a fish after all........no rotten bottoms here so what was I going to do? All of this was seconds but seemed to be in slow motion till the fish decided to run to my right and all I could do was make sure it had enough line to run. I turned round at the same time as the fish decided to change direction towards me.......slack line yup the line went light lost it!!! I should feel gutted but I am not, just pleased that I got a touch at all.

This is Ali from Chatton Trout Fishery working one of the pools

Ali completed the Moonwalk in Edinburgh last night to raise money for breast cancer. Walk the Walk | Raising Money and Awareness : The MoonWalk Edinburgh Ali has a sponsorship form at Chatton Trout Fishery if you would like to donate.

A huge thank you goes to Lord Allendale for allowing us the opportunity to fish and raise £500 for charity and have a fantastic time too! The ghillies on the day - Gary, Chris, Tom, and Ladies Fishing coaches Cliff and Paul, were fantastic and very patient especially with those of us who had never been salmon fishing before.

A special thanks goes to AAPGAI Master in Fly Dressing Paul Little who tied classic salmon flies for Lord Allendale and Head Ghillie Gary Hilary. Extra special thanks goes to Anne Woodcock, Ladies Fishing who organised the event and made it a special day for all of us.

New members are always welcome to our ladies fishing group and we welcome junior members. Full details are here Instructors or follow our adventures at Ladies Fishing Club in the North East UK or our page on Facebook.

Ali
    UKCC Level 2 Game Angling Coach
Working...
X