Langley Dam. Sept 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Langley Dam. Sept 4th

Decided to fish Cooksons Bay, everyone else who was fishing had tucked themselves onto banks out of the wind so I had it mainly to myself all day.

It was an hour before I had my first fish on a GH Viva and 4 hours before I got my next bite and fish on a HT Dawsons. I had changed my flies many times trying to suss out what they were taking, as I use snap links it's only a matter of seconds to change flies and I think it results in more fish on the bank.In the end I had 6 fish the last one was released.

Well done mate , sounds like a canny day . How exactly do you use the snap links and what size are they , I have never heard of that before but thinking about seems a good idea

Comment

As you see from the picture, you just snap on the fly.
      I've been using them for years and are also called quick links. They come in 3 sizes... small, medium and large. Medium is what I prefer as they take wets and lures and I always fish with 3 flies.
      It's surprising how many flies you can change when it's a hard day. If you don't use them it can be a bit of a chore cutting off and tying on a new fly.
      I have lost the odd fish, where the fly has turned over but I think you catch more fish using them.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveyP View Post
        As you see from the picture, you just snap on the fly.
        I've been using them for years and are also called quick links. They come in 3 sizes... small, medium and large. Medium is what I prefer as they take wets and lures and I always fish with 3 flies.
        It's surprising how many flies you can change when it's a hard day. If you don't use them it can be a bit of a chore cutting off and tying on a new fly.
        I have lost the odd fish, where the fly has turned over but I think you catch more fish using them.

never used them dont they tangle when casting and what about dries.
        am fishing langley next weekend

Comment

Have had wind tangles, but just remove flies which makes it much easier to untangle.
          I never use them for dries as I suspect they will sink the fly.

Comment

You can also use a standard small snap at the end of your fly line.
            Take your favourite/most effective flies and tie your leader directly onto them and then make a double overhand loop at the fly line end.

Simply snap the leader onto the fly line and off you go.

Make changing 3 flies a 2 second job.

To store your flies/leader set up use some 6mm plywood stripswith notches in the ends.

Been using this method for years with wets, lures and drys never lost a single fly in all that time.
            Here fishy, fishy!

Comment

Working...
            X