Fly Tying Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Tying Books

I am looking for some advice on a book about fly tying. It must really be for beginners as the person in question is 15 years old and as far as I know hasn\'t tied any flies as yet. Any one got any ideas?????
    "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Try the Fly Tyers Manual by Mike Dawes or the Fly Tyers Bible by Peter Gathercole. Both good books
    www.ian-woods.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the advice Ian.
      "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

You might want to think about some dvd / video guides.
        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

I would do Ell if it was for anyone I knew but it\'s for a lass I work with who\'s buying the book for her nephew and she\'s on a bit of a budget. Fishing DVD\'s and Videos seem to be so expensive, but then I suppose it\'s a niche market without high demand so they have to make their money somehow.

Comment

Problem with fly tying DVD\'s/Videos is that they are such a low run product, then it makes them expensive as the producers have to recover costs

The Fly Tyers Manual is a good starting point as once he has mastered the basics then there is a sequal called the Fly Tyers Companion which takes it a step further

The Fly Tyers Bible is a good all round book which goes through the whole lot but may be a bit daunting for the beginner if they read to far ahead!!!
            www.ian-woods.co.uk

Comment

If I had any Red I\'d \"lend \" you them Someone else might be able to help though.

Any experts out there want to make a DVD, it would be very simple to set. You could even remain anonymous.

[Edited on 13/9/2005 by Charlie_Thompson]

Comment

personally I found a lot of the books little use at all for an absolute beginner, they how high to tie a a wing for example, but they show you the process on a bare hook, not with all the other bits you\'ve tied in first, and so on for all the other techniques. SAme goes for aall the finishing techniques, spent what seems like days with me fingers doing a cats cradle all over the shop

I learnt more sat for 20mins with someone who knew what they were doing, than I did from half a dozen books and heaps of magazines. The fly tiers bible is good though as it does have plenty of patterns, to follow the basic instruction, cheapest place you\'ll find it is on Amazon

As for videos.... well, for the unoffical source of AVI & MPG instruction on just about everything, and PDF\'s of books, check out the emule or edonkey networks on the ol\' interweb and download some!

http://www.billmcilroy.freeserve.co.uk/teach/newmaterials.htm

and

http://www.danica.com/flytier/

between them will give you the basic knowledge and details of just about every fly ever devised

just been dusting my kit off for the dark winters nights. I find the one thing all the books miss out on in terms of essentials is a good sized glass of quality malt to keep you company

still got spare kit if you want to give it a go charlie
                ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

try amazon site. fly tying

Comment

Definetly on the kit Mark -I need an extra pastime and you can\'t catch fish with model Sherman tanks. Well apart from Carp!

What about getting the lad a couple of lessons from someone, or paying for him to join a club?

[Edited on 13/9/2005 by Charlie_Thompson]

Comment

Red my son is trying his hand at fly tying and he has got Fly Tyers Bible by Peter Gathercole from the library,like Mark says they are\'nt that good to learn from but it will give the lad a idea at what to do,its alot of trial and error,another good way is to get some quality fly\'s to copy from,theres often a few DVD\'s on Ebay not sure if they are any good mind,places like Barter books at Alnwick are a good source
                      Cheers Alan...

Comment

Red

Depending whreabouts you live, I will give hiim a couple of lessons if he wants
                        www.ian-woods.co.uk

Comment

Overwhelming response there cheers Lads!!!!
                          I have spoken to the lass I work with and she is looking into the book/DVD avenue as I type. Ian I can\'t thank you enough for the offer of lessons, she is going to discuss it with her brother before deciding to take you up on the offer, but I can tell you she is awestruck at your generosity. (I live up in Alnwick but her nephew lives near Bedlington so that\'s not too far from you.)
                          I may pop into your place on Saturday to start getting my supplies for the encroaching winter season. Any chance you can supply me with directions?

Comment

Hi Red

No problems with the lessons. We have a desk in the back where we knock up \'one off\' patterns so giving an hours lesson in their is no problem at all. I remember starting off and it wasn\'t easy!!!

Dont know how well you know Morpeth but here are the directions from Alnwick

As you come into Morpeth from the North you come to a set of traffic lights next to Bedrock Communications. Turn left there (you can only go left or straight on) and go past a pub called the Tap and Spile.

At the roundabout, turn right and you immediatley come onto another roundabout.

Go straight over the second roundabout, this takes you over a zebra crossing and into Back Riggs car park

The shop is straight in front of you, painted green and with a white sign \'Game Fishing Supplies\'

If you can let me know what sort of time you are coming I can arrange to meet you as I am having a day off on Saturday
                            www.ian-woods.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Ian, for the directions Ian. I don\'t get too Morpeth too much now but when I was younger I used to go thru every day on me way up to Scots Gap where I spent some time with the National Trust. I was planning on coming down first thing in the morning but the missus tells me I\'m taking me oldest to footie training in the morning so it may be after dinner. Will probably let you know tomorrow. STill chuckling at me new Avatar.....Tony what have ye done t\' me heed!!God me hairline isn\'t half creeping back LOL!

Lad I work with has now come and put the Icing on the cake.....He reckons I look like that picture of Leslie Grantham sucking his finger!!!!HE He cheeky git!

[Edited on 15/9/2005 by Red5]

Comment

Working...
                              X