River Wear - Seatrout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Wear - Seatrout

Hello Chaps - Just wondering if anyone has had any Seatrout from the upper Wear recently. I was up at Westgate last week and the river is still running at summer levels with no sign of any moving sea trout?

Cheers
    JamesC

Welcome to NESA James hope you enjoy. Not my field that lol but I am sure someone will help you out.

Jim.
    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

the problem up here is that the river goes up and down very quickly so the window of opportunity is only a short one. not been down for a couple of weeks, but had a couple out at the end of august

if your deperate, the pool under hag bridge in stanhope often holds fish when there\'s not much water running, but they are a bit nocturnal. they are also partial to a nice shiny spinner under there as well, apparently, not that you\'d ever catch me breaking such rules

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Hi James welcome to NESA mate
        Cheers Alan...

Comment

James

I have access to a stretch of the Wear just below Wolsingham. Most of the deeper pools on the upper river will be holding a decent stock of sea trout although alot of them will have been in there for a while now and will be difficult to catch and past there best for eating. It fishes best when the river is falling after a flood and the fish are on the move.

Looks like there could be some rain forecast to freshen things up again and pull more fish into the upper reaches.

Comment

Thanks Chaps - I think I will bide my time for a bit longer and wait for alittle rain. There\'s always the still waters and sea to keep us
            entertained!

I did here that there are allot of Sea trout at Eastgate but the majority of them that fungal decease...... not good!

Regards
            James

Comment

by the time most migratory fish get up here, they\'re pretty knackered, but not had many dieseased fisih myself, its usually a sigh that ther rivers in poor condition, low oxygen levels etc after a prolonged hot dry spell (whats one of them!) . Need plenty of fresh water down to get some fresh runners, about 24 hours after it starts dropping back is when you tend to find the pools with fresh fish in.

Thought for the day:
              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

Hi Mark
                Totally agree, allot of the fish I see up that way are very dark fish with a couple of silver fresh ones spinkled in - I was saddened to see a couple of lads fishing the Willington and District waterfall last year up at Westgate, these guys kept every black sea trout they caught and said their cats would be happy - Christ, they must have had lions!

Cheers
                JamesC

Comment

Welcome to NESA James, Plenty advice on here, Enjoy
                  "Some Times You Win, Some Time The Fish Wins, Thats Why It's Called Fishing, Not Catching"!
                  Tight Lines,
                  jonny mc

Comment

Hello Jonny
                    Cheers for the welcome, I\'ve been on the board for a while now
                    but I\'ve had a couple of problems getting connected as a memeber.. However I ve been contempt just reading the crac off the lads....

But, I\'m here now in time for the winter, Might bump into you down Mill Dam.

Cheers
                    JamesC

Comment

i hardly fish there now mate, last resort if the weather is sh*te so we can fish out the car.
                      "Some Times You Win, Some Time The Fish Wins, Thats Why It's Called Fishing, Not Catching"!
                      Tight Lines,
                      jonny mc

Comment

do i know you james

sless

Comment

The big fallen tree has just been removed from the pool by hag bridge up at eastgate/stanhope, so defo worth a try their next time the waters up.

Comment

well the river is a rising as I speak, been some very heavy rain out here this afternoon, so I\'d say tommorow night should be about perfect!

Thought for the day:

Comment

Excellant News, I might be able to get line wet after all this season!

Sless - Well of course! I showed you how to drink down Poole ... and fish!

Mark - Keep the updates coming!

Cheers
                              JamesC

Comment

Working...
                              X