greys gtx 7/8 reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greys gtx 7/8 reel

Well i have spent a few weeks looking at fly reels and ended up with a greys gtx reel, now i know there better reels but i never wanted to spend over £100.

Anyway it looks great and feels great but cant use it till after xmas so anyone out there got one and have any opinions about them and the drag systems?

greys reels look good and are solid, but I\'ve never rated their drag systems much, maybe thats cos I\'m too used to multipliers and being able to lock a reel right down. It hold tight but not as solid as you\'d expect, best drag I\'ve ever come across is on a scabby old Ron Thomson thing I use for sal****er which is every bit as good as a multiplier

I\'ve got a gtx, grx and a platinum Xi, and they are all pretty simialr in the strength of their drag
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

ive got a couple of hardy reels
      but ive never used the reel as a reel
      if you know what i meen
      always played the fish by hand

sless

Comment

Yer i know what you mean Sless, i have been trout fishing 3 years now and dont often play a fish off the reel.....in fact only 4 times i can think of a fish took backing line off.

Cheers for the info mark

Comment

Well just got my greys gtx reel today for my birthday..now what fly line..i want a WF7 floating but not sure what one, i have used a shakespear wouster for 3 years and think its great but before getting a second one i am leaving the floor open to other lines, any ideas then lads?

[Edited on 25/11/2005 by LING_BASHER]

Comment

Someone on here, I think it was Sless, recommended a Grey\'s Platinum. I bought one and he was spot on. It\'s a good line at a decent price.
            The others I can recommend are the Snowbee Prestige and the Partridge Reservoir. Trouble with the Partridge is the price and the fact that due to having an inbuilt backing it takes up more room on the spool than a normal line with a braided or mono backing. It casts a hell of a long way though.
            Cheers
            Ian D

Comment

Snowbee XS gets my vote out of the 3 I\'ve tried, a few other lads recommended it as well, might be the same stuff as prestige, not sure. One of the Shakespeare lines was getting lots of good reviews last year. Never tried it
              "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
              Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Working...
              X